Dropped Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped Bike

Well around 6months ago I dropped my 1978 GS1000E in the shed, thought the side stand was down only damage was to the stator cover the bike started to leak oil out a small crack. I quickly drained oil and put a spare stator on the bike. Next day while riding it to VTNZ for vinning ( new plates) the bike developed a funny whine on stator side, returned home and discovered the little steel holder in cover that holds the wiring back was rubbing on the stator rotor. quick swap over again and off to VTNZ.
    Bike ran well for around 1/2 hour then started to run rough/missfire. Bike all legal rode home and swapped the whole motor out with a spare that was reconditioned for my GS1000L. and put E motor in L.

Today went to start and ride the L with the E motor and went well for 10min then rough, The thing is the motor ran really well untill I dropped it onto concrete floor. Carbs / coils / petcock all worked sweet on the L now with the E motor in it . I checked and changed points coils no problems with stator . What could I have possibly damaged on dropping the bike? or riding it with the stator wire holder rubbing.

1978 GS1000E motor noise replaced stator, rode well then rough. Swapped motor.

1979 GS1000L Good motor taken out put in E , E motor put in L

Both bikes run really well with the L motor.

Everything works better with an "L" on it!

So in summary the "E" motor fell on concrete floor- maybe it loosen up the points plate or condenser stuff??
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy View Post
      Well around 6months ago I dropped my 1978 GS1000E in the shed, thought the side stand was down only damage was to the stator cover the bike started to leak oil out a small crack. I quickly drained oil and put a spare stator on the bike. Next day while riding it to VTNZ for vinning ( new plates) the bike developed a funny whine on stator side, returned home and discovered the little steel holder in cover that holds the wiring back was rubbing on the stator rotor. quick swap over again and off to VTNZ.
      Bike ran well for around 1/2 hour then started to run rough/missfire. Bike all legal rode home and swapped the whole motor out with a spare that was reconditioned for my GS1000L. and put E motor in L.

Today went to start and ride the L with the E motor and went well for 10min then rough, The thing is the motor ran really well untill I dropped it onto concrete floor. Carbs / coils / petcock all worked sweet on the L now with the E motor in it . I checked and changed points coils no problems with stator . What could I have possibly damaged on dropping the bike? or riding it with the stator wire holder rubbing.

1978 GS1000E motor noise replaced stator, rode well then rough. Swapped motor.

1979 GS1000L Good motor taken out put in E , E motor put in L

Both bikes run really well with the L motor.
      I am not trying to hijack the thread but since it may apply.... is there supposed to be oil under the stator cover?

The 1000e I just picked up is cracked on that cover and shows a little oil also. It does still have plenty of oil in the oil reservoir and this bike has been sitting for 15 years.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
        I am not trying to hijack the thread but since it may apply.... is there supposed to be oil under the stator cover?

The 1000e I just picked up is cracked on that cover and shows a little oil also. It does still have plenty of oil in the oil reservoir and this bike has been sitting for 15 years.
        Yes there is some oil in there, not a lot and if you tip it the other way, none at all, you can take the cover off and hardly spill a drop, but when in normal position and or riding there is some oil in that area...

Comment

Yes it is supposed to have oil in it. I take it you had a spare stator cover with stator. Are you sure it is good? Might have hung up a float in the carburetors or a float needle got stuck. Might want to drop the bowls and make sure everything is working freely. Could you have cracked a spark plug ceramic? Don't get hung up on the question, the shock of falling caused whatever you are experiencing. You surely had enough energy to swap motors, might have enough left to find the problem.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yes put brand new plugs in. Took carbs off and checked bowls. I also drained oil and took cover off the sump while engine was out there was a lot of little crappy lumps in oil. changed oil and filter. Im on days off shortly so I will have a really good look at it. I would try and get my other motor in it but the previous owner has welded the sprocket on and will need some serious surgery to get it off.

Comment

Problem fixed . New DYNAS ignition, green coils and new leads. Wow that makes such a difference. Only problem now is I took the stock exhaust off and put a 4 into 1 off a gsx1100r on and now leaning into right hand corners it makes contact with the road. I tried to load a picture from photobucket.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.
                Do you think it could have been the points plate as Tom suggested. Did you see any damage?
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Looking at the points plate it did not appear to be damaged. It was all pretty tight and looked ok. This Dyna system is fantastic and also alot cheaper to buy from America than New Zealand, saved about $400 by buying it off Ebay my local dealer simply could not match the price.

Comment

Working...
                  X