Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Break light does not work - Break light switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break light does not work - Break light switch?

Hi there, after getting new tail lights for my gs450 I discovered it wasn't their fault the brake light didn't work.
    I put the old ones back and it still doesn't work.

If the front or back break light switch is defect shouldn't one of them still work? Both do not engage the break light. Welp

if switches are working, then one or the other should activate the light

Comment

So could there be another reason?

If it's the switches it would mean that both stopped working at the same time basically.

Comment

Double check all your connections, makes sure they are all good and tight, check grounds, check fuses, the chances of both going out at the same time are slim but possible, check the bulb is it OK ?

Comment

Check the wiring going into the bulb holder. That's the wiring that gets moved around the most when bulbs are changed.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
          https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Didn't you just have another thread about the same thing?

What happened to it?

I was in the process of responding to it and it VANISHED.

That is a lousy way to get help.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry Steve!

I deleted the old one because I thought I had a different problem

Originally I thought the new LED tail light does not work but apparently it's something on the bike, I put the old one back and the brake light is still not there.

Btw, the new and old light are different cases with plate holders etc. I did not change out the bulb but the whole fixture.

I undid and redid the wires going in the bulbs (both tail lights) so I don't think it's that.

If the fuses are dead, wouldn't that mean the front light etc. wouldn't work either?
              Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Check the adjustment on the rear brake light switch If it is on all the time you will think your light is not working. Disconnect it and try the front. If it gets brighter, adjust the rear switch.
                Last edited by OldVet66; 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Check the wiring going to the taillight underneath the seat...
                  There is only one fuse (on a stock harness), if it blows, the bike would not run (no power at all).
                  1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
                  1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Patihubi View Post
                    Sorry Steve!

I deleted the old one because I thought I had a different problem

Originally I thought the new LED tail light does not work but apparently it's something on the bike, I put the old one back and the brake light is still not there.
                    Part of the answer that I was offering to you was "systematic troubleshooting".

Isolate your problem. You installed a new light, but it did not work. Was it because of the light or what was feeding it? Remove the connections to the new light, use some temporary wiring to connect directly to the battery. If the light works, the problem is obviously not in the light.

Next, use a test light (or voltmeter) to check the wires that feed the light. If they are good, the only thing left is the connections to the light.

If the feed wires are not good, follow them back toward their source. If your bike has more than one fuse, there will be a SIGNAL fuse that powers the brake light, turn signals and horn. If your horn and signals work, the fuse is OK and the problem is between the fuse and the brake light wires. The only thing(s) there would be the two switches for the brake light.

It is not common to lose both switches at the same time, but are you SURE that both of them were working previous to the light change? Maybe one was not working and you did not notice it.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

If the front or back break light switch is defect shouldn't one of them still work? Both do not engage the break light. Welp

If it's the switches it would mean that both stopped working at the same time basically.

Yes, either should operate the brake light.
                      If one bad, the other should operate the brake light.
                      In electrical terms, the brake switches are in parallel.
                      Each has the org/grn circuit (power from fuse) on one side and the white circuit (to brake light) on other side.

Maybe one swtich had been not working and you didn't notice.
                      Then later the other switch quit working and you didn't notice.
                      You swapped the tail light before noticed, and put back on original light and still didn't work. That tells me you had not noticed.

And you are trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem, apparently with no voltmeter.
                      Hey, lets use you extra tail light as a test instrument.
                      See if you have power going to the brake switch (the orange/green wire).

Last edited by Redman; 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM.
                      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

What is a break light?

Are we sure the light isn't stuck on? Turn the key from ON to Park, does the brightness of the light change noticeably? If so, one of your brake switches is stuck on.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                          What is a break light?
                          I, also, would like to know which models/years came with them? A light that comes on to tell you when to take a break??? Something to help stop rider fatigue?
                          Gustovh posted in another thread that his bike had one. Perhaps they only came on some of the L models?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                            What is a break light?
                            That is the present tense conjugation of the verb when your light does not work.

"Break, ... broke, ... broken."

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Finally the weather up here in New Hampshire cleared up and I was able to work on it a little more.

I finally figured out that it seems like as if the Front brake light switch is always activating the brake light, now the big question, where do I find the front brake light switch? :/

Comment

Working...
                              X