Timing mark on electronic ignition gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing mark on electronic ignition gs550

If this has already been covered, please point me in the right direction.

I have a Boyer Brandsen ignition on my 1980 gs550, as a replacement for the stock electronic ignition which was defective. I installed it about a year ago, but on recent examination, am second guessing the correctness of my installation.

The crux is this- there is no mark on the engine case against which to align the markings on the plate. The BB installation instructions show how to align the rotor for tdc, which I identified to the best of my abilities. However, when using a timing light to check my work and adjust the advance, there isn't a reference mark on the case.

Am i missing something very basic and obvious, or do I need to make my own timing mark? If so, how?

Is the original TDC mark hidden now? should have look something like this I imagine

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Is the original TDC mark hidden now? should have look something like this I imagine

My case does not have a mark like that. I consulted the Clymer manual, which states the years 80-on are "not adjustable" and only shows a picture of the older points ignition adjustment.

Comment

Post a pic of your ignition set-up. The CDI (non-points) ones still have the mark. Perhaps your ignition plate is covereing the mark?
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Mine looks about like this other pic- can't see why yours would be different. Note just above "T" mark on revolving advance plate, there is scribed mark ( in the shadow) on crankcase. Even with the electronic ignitor,the timing can be slightly adjusted with screw slots- not much though!

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Take out the top center screw on the ignition plate and line the mark under it to the mark on the engine case.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks for the help guys. i think i figured it out? it appears the timing mark is the raised casting above the top screw on the plate. i was expecting it to be closer to the advance plate, as in the pictures a few of you have posted. am i correct here?

Comment

You can download the OEM service manual from here:

Pg 57 shows the timimg marks, but not the casting case mark. Could all be the same however.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

to be clear, this is what i'm dealing with. that little molded line at 12 o'clock is the only thing on the case, but it's nothing like the pictures people are posting. it's also not near the advance plate markings.

Comment

I would guess you're correct in assuming that cast mark on the rib at 12 O'clock is the mark.
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

First year for electronic ignition- maybe suzuki hadn't gotten their casting updated. Now that you got it apart, scribe some kind of extension to that mark so you can see it and the revolving advance plate when you shoot your timing light thru hole.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                        First year for electronic ignition- maybe suzuki hadn't gotten their casting updated.

Oh right! I hadn't thought of that... I'm sure Suzuki wasn't going to NOT use any parts that would fit.

I would guess your VIN is one of the very early numbers.
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                        X