Tachometer Erratic at High RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer Erratic at High RPM

When I rev into the higher RPM range, the tach on my "79 GS750E moves erratically, making it hard to know for sure what RPM I'm at. It sort of bounces back and forth a bit. It seems fine until I get past 7K. Anyone else ever experience this? Causes/fixes?
    '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
    '73 CB350 - 1st ride
    '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
    '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

"Most" of the time it is the tach cable. Remove it (it goes from the head to the tach), remove the inner drive cable, and clean everything. Then lube the inner cable and re-install.
    If it is too worn it may need to be replaced.

Comment

Probably the cable, but if tht doesn' fix it you can also try shooting some spray grease between the part of the tach that spins with the cable and the threaded part that it spins in. You will probably have to take the tach off and turn it upside down to get it in there.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep; bouncing speedo or tacho is usually (99%) cable related. Sometimes it's an indication it's on its way out, but normally it's early warning and a lube fixes it. However; I've found the GS tacho cables aren't really long-lived items - I don't think I ever had one that lasted more than 20 or 30K.
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If none of the other options above cures the problem then it may be a dry tach assembly. I've had a couple that were not the cable and oil in the end did not fix it. I've had one tach that had seized and literally exploded internally. On the two that were salvageable I ended up having to disassemble the tach and lube it directly.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Yep; bouncing speedo or tacho is usually (99%) cable related. Sometimes it's an indication it's on its way out, but normally it's early warning and a lube fixes it. However; I've found the GS tacho cables aren't really long-lived items - I don't think I ever had one that lasted more than 20 or 30K.
            Had several around 100,000 miles without buying a cable.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the tips....will give them a try.
              '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
              '73 CB350 - 1st ride
              '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
              '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Comment

Originally posted by knotscott View Post
                When I rev into the higher RPM range, the tach on my "79 GS750E moves erratically, making it hard to know for sure what RPM I'm at. It sort of bounces back and forth a bit. It seems fine until I get past 7K. Anyone else ever experience this? Causes/fixes?
                You need to get past 7K more often....it's just not used to being there .
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Had several around 100,000 miles without buying a cable.
                  What type were they?
                  I learned to avoid the listed ones with a kink on the outer end at the tacho, where it bends to clear the instrument housing - genuine stock, too, just a design flaw.
                  The inner cable usually fractures up around there.
                  Last ones I bought I rummaged around the dealer's stock and found other ones without the kink. They lasted fine.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X