R/R Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R Recommendations

Looking for a new R/R for my 1981 GS650G. Any recommendations? Trying to keep my budget below $100.

Thanks.

Originally posted by snackie View Post
    Looking for a new R/R for my 1981 GS650G. Any recommendations? Trying to keep my budget below $100.

Thanks.
    I'm thinking a SH-775 would work. maybe online $75 shipped or visit a Polaris ATV dealer and haggle- you want Polaris pn #4012941
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The general consensus is the SH-775 is the only way to go. As stated above, it's a Polaris part that's better and less expensive then the alternatives.

Here's a good alternative harness to go with that R/R:

Last edited by JTGS850GL; 05-23-2014, 04:57 PM.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Fh020aa

Just spoke with Jack at ROADSTERCYCLE.COM, he recommends the FH020AA over the Sh-775. Both require special wire kits and connectors and are more than I want to spend. What about Ricks, Electrosport or Arrow Head?

Comment

SH-775 all the way. The Triumph connector is $10, but you don't strictly need it.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Electrosport ESR090

This guy looks like it's ready to plug in without any additional hardware...

Comment

part #4012941-=SH-775???

When I go to Partzilla and put in part #4012941, I get
              Buy POLARIS OEM REGULATOR - 4012941 ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

Is that the SH-775?

Comment

I have both...a FET (shunt) version and the SH-775. I have not had problems with either in their application, but I would lean towards the true series Polaris R/R if needed in the future. The cost is slightly lower, and if you get a chance to read through the R/R thread, you'll see there are advantages.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

When I go to Partzilla and put in part #4012941, I get
                  Buy POLARIS OEM REGULATOR - 4012941 ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

Is that the SH-775?
                  That looks to be the right part
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

SH-775 series type RR all the way. Going back to a shunt type is like putting wore out boots back on when you have new ones.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      SH-775 series type RR all the way. Going back to a shunt type is like putting wore out boots back on when you have new ones.
                      I would say, more like changing your engine oil by draining the oil from your engine and then pouring it back in. Out of site out of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        I do this all the time- got to keep the new ones clean!

snackie; get the SH-775- you don't need special connector, I just used spades
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just spoke with Jack at ROADSTERCYCLE.COM, he recommends the FH020AA over the Sh-775. Both require special wire kits and connectors and are more than I want to spend. What about Ricks, Electrosport or Arrow Head?
                          Funny that they are now offering the SH-775 kit all over their site as "NEW NOW OFFERING!" but they still recommend the older FH020AA. Curious as to what reason they gave for preferring the FH20AA over the SH-775?

They both need some minor rewiring but they both use the same connectors and the same input/output pins, so you'll need to do the same wiring either way. The good news is that once done you wont have to rewire it again when the FH020AA dies.
                          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            Curious as to what reason they gave for preferring the FH20AA over the SH-775?
                            Larger profit margin would be my first guess.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                              Funny that they are now offering the SH-775 kit all over their site as "NEW NOW OFFERING!" but they still recommend the older FH020AA. Curious as to what reason they gave for preferring the FH20AA over the SH-775?
                              If they're doing it to get rid of old stock at the customer's future expense, it's pretty low tactics.
                              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X