GSX 1100 et ignition coil problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 1100 et ignition coil problem

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and have a problem with wiring on a new ignition coil I bought. The bike is a UK model gsx1100 et 1979. The original coil (for plugs 1 and 4)has an orange and white wire plus a white one. The new coil has a black and white plus a black wire. There are no markings on the new coil to say which is positive and I need to cut the wires to use the original block connector to connect the new coil. Which wire should connect to which?
    Hope you can help.

O/W goes to the positive side of the coil and the other on the negative.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for this. But which side of the coil is positive as there are no markings just 2 wires, one black and one black and white?

Comment

It won't make any real difference normally, but for what it's worth...
        If you hold the coil with the HT leads towards you, the + wire is the left one furthest away. If your coils are OE they should be marked, but they might have been replaced at some point.
        As I say, not much difference anyway, but two plugs firing in reverse might, just might, give rise to a vibe that shouldn't be there. It's no big deal, but when these engines are sorted out properly they are pretty smooth and you might start chasing odd vibes.
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
        X