Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another RR/STATOR Thread

My stator bit the dust.
    Next month I plan on buying a freshly-rewound stator from Steve.
    I have a RR off a Honda Nighthawk that needs the POs paint cleaned off from it.
    I plan on replacing my RR with the 8 wire Honda unit as I do not know if the current one is any good.
    I took a picture of what I have to work with.
    I also made a diagram of the parts and how I plan on putting them together with information from Mr BaseCliff's

Regulator/Rectifier Replacement

If someone could please take a look and let me know if my plans for this are on spot or if I am missing something I would appreciate it.
    You will see in the photo I have a inline fuse sitting on top of the RR, for some reason I thought I would need this but after rereading Basecliff's guide I do not see a need.

Photo first.

Diagram

The diagrams wires are color coded as the parts are.
    The blue, white, and black wires on the RR get taped out of the way?
    The blocks I drew above the fuse holder and stator represent the matching wires from the RR.

And one more thing.
    Has BaseCliffs site always said BikeCliffs on top?

With that many wires on the regulator, I would do some double- and triple-checking to make sure whether the Honda uses a stator or an alternator.

Why not get a Polaris regulator and upgrade to the best?

Yes, BassCliff's site has always said "BikeCliff". He explained it once that he started the page to show his other interests (he also plays bass guitar), but he used the name "BassCliff" for his username.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Confused by the information I have on it.
      With research I turned up this, straight from a book. (Clymer)

The charging system consists of the battery, alternator and a voltage regulator/rectifier.
      The alternator is a three phase type that uses two rotors driven by the crankshaft and a fixed stator that consists of a series of wound coils of wire .

Would them calling it a alternator using a stator as opposed to a generator using a stator be telling me I cannot use it on the Suzuki?
      I understand how a R/R works, set a electrical diagram in front of me and it only produces resignation.

I do not have the money for a Polaris or any other new R/R.
      Have been spending the extra on the bike as opposed to anything else as I know what makes me happy and safe.
      The stator being one of the things we all know will go bad eventually, but I was not prepared for needing a replacement.
      If I need to buy a new R/R the bike will sit for a few more months as the front tire needs replaced soon also.
      Bustedknuckles is searching to see if he has a R/R for the cost of shipping to me.
      I hope I get lucky there and then will not have to use the Honda unit.
      Mine may be OK, but cannot test with the bad stator.
      I think I am correct in the above statement?

I have never noticed the site is named BikeCliff before.
      I find my lack of attention to that as rather humorous with I cannot count the times I have been there trying to make sense of things that give me difficulties.

Thank you for the reply.
      Though it has led to more confusion on my part. (pun)
      I do appreciate!
      Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2014, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Yes, the terminology gets confusing ....generator, alternator- they are really the same, but they do things a little differently. Your schematic wiring diagram shows an alternator with a 3 phase output controlled by a field coil- this field coil is adjusted by the regulator (inside the R/R) to control the AC output. This is same animal that's in your car. The charging system on suzukis and lots of bikes doesn't have a field coil- it has permanent magnet array which spins around the stator windings. This style has little output at low rpms, but plenty by about 2000 rpm and too much output as rpms go up- it's up to the regulator portion of this R/R to control things- a shunt R/R does this crudely (but will work) compared to how a series R/R manages.

That Honda R/R appears to be a unit that can adjust the field strength to the alternator. Both nighthawks that I looked at had this car type alternator system, so the R/R is different than what suzuki needs. You need a different R/R.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you Tom.
          Questions answered.
          Until Steve chimed in I did not realize there would be a difference.
          Until you chimed in I would not know if this would work or not.
          Hopefully mine is still ok or Bustedknuckles has a good one for me.
          On to the drawing board!!

Comment

Working...
          X