Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking the Headlight circuit on the 1000E

A while back had issues with the headlight not being on and no turn signals
    then figured out it was the rectifier with separate regulator (Original) on the E

Turn out the Rectifier i bought (rmstator) is also a regulator being an R/R
    today removed the separate regulator and the new R/R fits perfectly in the Regulator spot.

Need another long screw used the screw from the rectifier location.

Runs and charges had a good run to the Zion Nuke ( state park) plant and back

Also went through the headlight wiring
    Black to headlight
    Yellow to Headlight
    Blue (violet?) to headlight From Dimmer
    this appears to match the E schematic

green / White their are two appear to go the right handle bar ?

The Yellow stator wire is running headlight power
    some place read replace the Yellow stator wire ? with a 12V power feed and run the relay so the low/ high can be on the same time as the High beam

Will disconnecting the yellow stator cause an other issues?
    is replacing the yellow with 12v Direct power still the best Recommendation ?

Originally posted by Recoush View Post
    A while back had issues with the headlight not being on and no turn signals
    then figured out it was the rectifier with separate regulator (Original) on the E

Turn out the Rectifier i bought (rmstator) is also a regulator being an R/R
    today removed the separate regulator and the new R/R fits perfectly in the Regulator spot.

Need another long screw used the screw from the rectifier location.

Runs and charges had a good run to the Zion Nuke ( state park) plant and back

Also went through the headlight wiring
    Black to headlight
    Yellow to Headlight
    Blue (violet?) to headlight From Dimmer
    this appears to match the E schematic

green / White their are two appear to go the right handle bar ?

The Yellow stator wire is running headlight power
    some place read replace the Yellow stator wire ? with a 12V power feed and run the relay so the low/ high can be on the same time as the High beam

Will disconnecting the yellow stator cause an other issues?
    is replacing the yellow with 12v Direct power still the best Recommendation ?
    The yellow from the stator to the headlight switch goes back to the R/R, it's just a way to turn off that leg of the stator for when the headlight is switched off and the bike doesn't need as much power (no headlight). The headlight should have a ground connection and it's high and low beam should be wired via two wires (one for each beam) to the dimmer switch. A +12 feed from the fuse panel for lights should go to the dimmer switch to power the headlight. To make clear the stator does not power the headlight - it just wouldn't last with all the AC power.

Comment

No headlight off switch on the 79 gs1000E at least not on my bike
      Strictly hi/low and turn signal with cancel on the left bar

Comment

The yellow wire is NOT a 'stator' wire. That is the feed from your dimmer switch to the high beam filament in the headlight. Yes, disconnecting that will cause some issues.

The wires to the headlight plug should be:
        Black (with white stripe) is ground
        Yellow is high beam
        White is low beam
        It is possible that your "blue (maybe violet)" wire is a discolored white wire.

My version of the wiring diagram does not show any green/white wires. There are some green wires to feed the gauge lights.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

will have to investigate further, some thing is a miss guess i will have to pull the tank and trace those wires back. Thanks

Comment

From memory the white traced wires goes to the cut out headlight switch, it cut a phase off of the 'alternator' when the light are close.Easier on the marginal charging r/r original desing.
            I removed the little plastic tab under the knob, I can run with or without lights on.
            It served me well 2 years ago when a fryed the rectifier 1 hour from home with not enought juice in the battery to start the engine.I bump started it and rode back home quite fine, only have a little misfire on strong acceleration.

I bought a Yamaha R/R after this ride, what a difference.
            Marc
            https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
            1978 GS1000C X2
            1978 GS1000E X2
            1979 GS1000S
            1979 gs1000
            1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
            X