Dyna s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna s

Hey guys is it a common thing for a dyna s pickup to die, I switched my coils around and my coils are fine but the funny thing that the pick up wire for my left pick yup will display 12 v and the working pick will have 1 v until the magnet comes around.

Originally posted by metalist25 View Post
    Hey guys is it a common thing for a dyna s pickup to die, I switched my coils around and my coils are fine but the funny thing that the pick up wire for my left pick yup will display 12 v and the working pick will have 1 v until the magnet comes around.
    The mounting location for the Dyna S is extremely harsh and you should expect higher electronic failure rates than other electronic devices of the same/similar complexity.

That is why I continue to run a stock ignitor on my GS1100ED

Comment

Dnya s failure rate?

I called dyna tech and they want me to send it in to test and the they will let me know about its condition And then warranty ?

Comment

Isn't it possible to fabricate a rubber insulator at the mounting point?
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Isn't it possible to fabricate a rubber insulator at the mounting point?
          It probably would help, although I don't know how much picup alignment might cause variation in timing. Als that doesn't do much for the thermal effects which could be equally as bad as vibration.

HALT is based on the principle that Heat and vibration create internal stresses that promote failure. These stresses are know to be cumulative as in captured in mechanical stress strain , fatigue damage curves.

Read starting about pg 20 to get an overview.

Last edited by posplayr; 05-28-2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I will read up on it. It's definitely something I'd like to learn more about.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Dyna will warranty ANY of their products, regardless of the age, or if you were the original purchaser. 'If' the part is determined to be faulty they will offer you a new one at half the price, but you have to pay for all the shipping. Might be a better deal in the US since your shipping is cheaper.
              Last edited by azr; 05-28-2014, 09:17 PM.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

You can check the pick up (coil) on the bike by checking resistor ohms. A Dynatek tech will tell you how to do it.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

--it happens.

I saw one Dyna pickup fail due to heat. When the engine warmed up, it would stop working.

On a cool day, you could leave the ignition cover off and ride as long as you wanted. With the ignition cover off, it would heat up and stop working in three or four miles.

Anyway, the owner called Dyna, sent it in, and they replaced it. Most last for decades, but there are failures here and there.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Dyna

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      Dyna will warranty ANY of their products, regardless of the age, or if you were the original purchaser. 'If' the part is determined to be faulty they will offer you a new one at half the price, but you have to pay for all the shipping. Might be a better deal in the US since your shipping is cheaper.
                      Out of warranty failures are replaced at cost. When I checked last year, a module plate was about $75.00. Call and get a RMA to send the module plate in for inspection and replacement. It's better than buying a new one. The modules have been redesigned so they look different from the old ones.
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 06-03-2014, 08:14 AM.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                      X