Ignition problems. Switch to Dyna S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition problems. Switch to Dyna S?

Hi. I have a 1981 GS1000G with the stock electronic ignition system. After a significant loss of power, I discovered #2 & 3 plugs weren't firing. I tested the coils and they seem okay, which I guess leaves the ignitor? I have a Clymer manual, but it's not very thorough on the electronic ignition systems. In looking at old posts in this forum, I see a lot of guys have switched to the Dyna S system. If I install a Dyna, will it bypass my existing ignitor? or should I be looking at a different solution? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

If you opt for dyna, your old ignitor is not used. But do some testing like in this link

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll do the tests you suggest.

Comment

I went through all the steps and determined it was indeed the ignitor. Fortunately, I found a decent one on Ebay for only 30 bucks and she's running like new again. After pulling out the old ignitor, I popped the cover off and it was clearly burned out. One whole section of it was covered with some kind of white, crusty corrosion. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X