Headlight voltage check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight voltage check

I have an "81" GS 750E. I would like to know the procedure for checking the voltage at the headlight, and what voltage is expected to be good? Then, if the voltage is poor, i'll try to improve it by cleaning wire connections, if the results are less than satisfactory, i'll add a relay as, is commonly suggested. After that, i'll just probably search for an upgraded bulb. Thanks, ... Skyhawk.

The procedure would be:
    1. open the headlight bucket
    2. insert voltmeter probes on headlight terminals
    3. read voltage

What voltage is good? Ideally, the same as what the battery is showing at the same time, but we all know it's going to be just a bit less. I would not accept a drop of more than one volt.

Be carefull with "upgraded" bulbs. Stick with the stock 55/60 watt bulbs. Anything more than that will endanger your wiring harness. About the best upgrade would be to get one of the +30 or +50 bulbs from Sylvania. Somehow, they claim a few more lumens without increasing the electrical draw, and they have worked well for me. What you want to AVOID is any bulb with a bluish tint. You know, the ones that claim "closer to daylight" and all that crap. Yes, they may be 'closer to daylight', but who ever claimed that bluish daylight was the best? If it were, why would Blue-Blocker sunglasses work so well?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have an '82 GS450 an I want to replace my sealed beam with one of those nice Sylvania 55/65w units. The bike's manual calls for a 50/35w headlight. @Steve So you are saying that the increased wattage won't damage the electrical system, alternator, etc. I want the brightness, but don't want to ruin anything.
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The procedure would be:
        1. open the headlight bucket
        2. insert voltmeter probes on headlight terminals
        3. read voltage

What voltage is good? Ideally, the same as what the battery is showing at the same time, but we all know it's going to be just a bit less. I would not accept a drop of more than one volt.

Be carefull with "upgraded" bulbs. Stick with the stock 55/60 watt bulbs. Anything more than that will endanger your wiring harness. About the best upgrade would be to get one of the +30 or +50 bulbs from Sylvania. Somehow, they claim a few more lumens without increasing the electrical draw, and they have worked well for me. What you want to AVOID is any bulb with a bluish tint. You know, the ones that claim "closer to daylight" and all that crap. Yes, they may be 'closer to daylight', but who ever claimed that bluish daylight was the best? If it were, why would Blue-Blocker sunglasses work so well?

One of those nice Sylvania 55/65w sealed beam units won't damage a bike that calls for a 50/35w headlight?

Comment

Working...
        X