83 1100e cluster shorting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100e cluster shorting?

recently on a ride I started to smell hot electrical and oil temp gauge and indicator for gear started to malfunction ,traced the smell to cluster ,took all covers off and have traced every wire I can fincoud and no apparent or obvious shorts, I have already done the Honda r/r conversion and eliminated the switch wiring a few years ago and this is the first electrical since,could the cluster just go bad has anyone else had an issue like this and if so what is the fix? I have searched for over and hour and have not found an issue quite like this one Thanks in advance for any help

Disconnect that stuff piece by piece (fuel gauge,gear position sender, etc.) and keep smelling- better yet also do a Quick test in case your charging system is ailing and sending smoke signals.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

inspect the sub-harness that goes from the main harness to the senders on the engine below the carburetors too. both connections for oil pressure and temp were smoked on mine (same year and model). corrosion at that connection would be the likeliest cause for increased resistance in the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by garagepunkfan View Post
        corrosion at that connection would be the likeliest cause for increased resistance in the circuit.
        Yep. Geta can of spray electrical contact cleaner (trichlor) and disconnect, spray, and reconnect every connector on the bike. Check the headlight connector. High resistance in a high current connector spells heat.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
        X