Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug eating motorcycle? GS850L

Hi,
    My bike seems to like eating spark plugs. There is one cylinder that has had 2 bad plugs in less than a week. I just got the bike and the cylinder had a bad plug so I put in a new NGK B8ES. The cylinder started miss firing after less than 100 miles on it. Bad plug again, simply no spark...?

What can cause plugs to go bad(lose spark)?

Originally posted by Mr.Mom View Post
    Hi,
    My bike seems to like eating spark plugs. There is one cylinder that has had 2 bad plugs in less than a week. I just got the bike and the cylinder had a bad plug so I put in a new NGK B8ES. The cylinder started miss firing after less than 100 miles on it. Bad plug again, simply no spark...?

What can cause plugs to go bad(lose spark)?
    Got a pic of the plugs that came out of that one cylinder?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Lack of maintenance would be my first guess. Poor maintenance would be my second. Your PO likely didn't do any of it.

What have you done to it so far concerning routine stuff that should be done once in a while? Carburetors? Ignition? Valves? Burning oil? Air filters? The list goes on.
      Last edited by tkent02; 06-19-2014, 07:19 PM.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'll be a little more specific. The brand new plugs lost electrical continuity with no signs of physical damage. There was a small amount of carbon.

Comment

I'll be a little more specific. The brand new plugs lost electrical continuity with no signs of physical damage. There was a small amount of carbon.
          Still isn't telling us much.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Plugs don't usually fail like that. How are you measuring continuity?
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Plug it in and see if it sparks while touching the engine block.

Comment

How do you know it's not the spark plug boot or wire that's failing? Much more common then simply a bad plug. Have you tried the same "bad" plug on any other cylinder?
                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Moved the plugs & they didn't work in other sockets.

Comment

Flabbergasted another one bites the dust...

Comment

If that plug is fouling because of a problem with a carburetor, it can cause the plug to fail. Where's the picture of the plugs? Whatever you have going on seems to be consistent. Have your valves been adjusted and the carburetors rebuilt?
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Carbon fouling in 50 miles? My phone camera sucks sorry.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2014, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Carbon fouling in 50 miles? My phone camera sucks sorry.
                          With dirty, poorly-adjusted carbs, I have seen new plugs look like that in 50 SECONDS.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Even out of focus I can see that those plugs look fouled. The shine makes me think it's oil fouled but it could be carbon fouled with raw gas causing it to look shiny. Like Steve said... Poorly adjusted carbs or ones that are simply dumping raw gas into the cylinder will foul a plug in just a few seconds.
                            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found a little bit of gas in my vacuum line. I am checking into the petcock as the extra gas culprit.

Comment

Working...
                              X