Intermittent Starter Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Starter Problem

The bike and starter have been running fine with no issues at all. I rode it home from work, parked it, went back 15 minutes later and the starter stopped working for a while....as in, nothing happened when I hit the starter button...the key was on, bike in neutral, run switch was on. I kick started it and it fired right up, but made a strange noise that sounded like a gear whirring....sounded like it came from the left side. I shut it off and tried the starter again....still nothing. Kicked started it again, it started again, but the strange sound went away after a few seconds this time, then the bike started normally with the starter after that. This morning all's fine again, at least for now.

Any guesses what's going on? It's a '79 GS750E.
    '79 GS750 - 4th and current ride...first since 1983
    '73 CB350 - 1st ride
    '76 GT750 - 2nd ride - the "water buffalo" - sold to buy an engagement ring
    '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Starter clutch

Comment

Did the starter motor seemed/sounded like it started to turn then stalled? did instrument lights go dim when you pressed starter button but motor didn't turn?
      Might be time to investigate starter clutch!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Did the starter motor seemed/sounded like it started to turn then stalled? did instrument lights go dim when you pressed starter button but motor didn't turn?
        Might be time to investigate starter clutch!
        It looked and sounded to me as if nothing happened when I hit the starter button.....no noise, no dimming, no sound until after I kick started it.
        '73 CB350 - 1st ride
        '79 RD400F Daytona Special - 3rd ride, the last of the street legal US 2-strokes - sold to buy a house

Comment

Why not just test the solenoid???

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Why not just test the solenoid???
            What's the best method for that?

Thanks for the help everyone!
            '73 CB350 - 1st ride

Comment

Next time it behaves like this,put your other hand on solenoid when you press starter button -feel it click? The small wire on solenoid is the "trigger" wire.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Does that bike not have the clutch safety switch (i.e., both hands are busy)?

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
                  I remember when I first got my new 79 GS1000L. Took it for a spin and stopped at a beach. Tried to fire it back up and WTF. Took a few minutes to figure the clutch switch out. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
                    No clutch switch that I'm aware of. I just put it in neutral before I start it.

The starter issue has not resurfaced since I originally posted this.....guess I'll knock wood, and keep my fingers crossed that it was just an anomaly.
                    '73 CB350 - 1st ride

Comment

Your clutch safety switch was probably bypassed by PO. But it might be sticking in "on" spot, waiting to work again- like when you stall out at uphill stop,with that SUV behind you. Best to be sure that it has been bypassed! Easy to check
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

The '79 had no clutch danger switch to bypass. That idiotic idea started in 1980, at least on the US models.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the info.....I sure do learn some obscure stuff around here!
                          '73 CB350 - 1st ride

Comment

Working...
                          X