Bike won't start, at a loss as to why.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike won't start, at a loss as to why.

I got a 1985 Suzuki GS550L that was starting on its own and it runs fine. Ex only way I can get it running is by jump starting it by way of rolling it down a hill and getting it into 2nd gear. I've replaced the voltage regulator rectifier and found out the battery wasn't holding a charge. So I bought that to my local Autozone and it checked out okay. It goes to start but won't turn over. Now the only things I can think of it being is the wiring cause the start button won't start it unless you keep it pushed in and wiggle it around to find the right spot.

My question being, is this something for a mechanic to do or is it a simple fix that I'm missing somehow?

If I haven't worded it right or something, my apologies. I'm a new rider and new to this forum. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Mattydubayu View Post
    I got a 1985 Suzuki GS550L that was starting on its own and it runs fine. Ex only way I can get it running is by jump starting it by way of rolling it down a hill and getting it into 2nd gear. I've replaced the voltage regulator rectifier and found out the battery wasn't holding a charge. So I bought that to my local Autozone and it checked out okay. It goes to start but won't turn over. Now the only things I can think of it being is the wiring cause the start button won't start it unless you keep it pushed in and wiggle it around to find the right spot.

My question being, is this something for a mechanic to do or is it a simple fix that I'm missing somehow?

If I haven't worded it right or something, my apologies. I'm a new rider and new to this forum. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    You need to check out your solenoid and see fi it is putting power to the starter.

A volt meter would be helpful so get one. Set it to DC 20V range and measure the battery voltage first.

Now remove the Y/G wire and apply +12V to it using another wire from the battery plus side.

Test for a click:.

A.) If no click , make sure the solenoid is grounded.
    A1)If the solenoid starts to work (engine cranks)after fixing the ground then good.
    A2)If not then solenoid it is probably bad.
    B.)If a click, then look at how far the battery voltage is dropping
    If nothing then the starter clutch is screwed
    If the battery voltage drops, then the battery is low.

Do some tests and report back.

Comment

I don't want to hijack this thread exactly but I think I'm having a very similar problem. I have the exact same bike- 1985 GS550L. Have had it since May 2012. Electrics/charging have always been a bit wonky. Battery tended to be weak, offered one or two cranks then died if it didn't start (I got very good at push starting the bike).

Some background: In November I garaged the bike; put it on a trickle charger. In December I left the country with my wife, not to return until just now. Between December and March, bike was on trickle charger, but never started. For some reason in March (I believe) the trickle charger was taken off by my brother in law. I asked him to reattach the charger in June and try to start the bike. He attached a different charger which I now believe doesn't work. He never got the bike started (for the entire 6 months it sat). I came back and tried to start the bike, no juice in the battery. Put the working charger back on the bike, started it an hour later.

Rode for two days, no problems. Was riding down 40 (long, fast road) for about an hour at high speeds, came into town and stopped at some lights. Back up to speed (50+ mph), heard and felt a big bang from the engine. Thought it was a rock hitting the gas tank or the chassis. Bike continued to run fine but pulled over immediately to check for damage. None found.

Tried to restart the bike. Turned the key, got lights. Pushed starter, heard a tick, lights go out. Electrics dead. Turn key off, wait 5 minutes, lights again, starter, tick, electrics dead. Look at battery- it's bulging slightly on one side- probably exploded inside.

So I got it home, removed the battery (carefully!), hooked up a jump starter that we have (no battery in place). Multimeter only reads 6 volts from that, so it's trash. Turn key, multimeter reads 0 volts. Will find a battery today to try.

Question is this- you say check the solenoid for power- my manual doesn't mention a solenoid. Probably different terminology, but can you clarify? This is the manual that I use for my bike:

Will investigate more once I find a battery to borrow...

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      You need to check out your solenoid and see fi it is putting power to the starter.

A volt meter would be helpful so get one. Set it to DC 20V range and measure the battery voltage first.

Now remove the Y/G wire and apply +12V to it using another wire from the battery plus side.

Test for a click:.

A.) If no click , make sure the solenoid is grounded.
      A1)If the solenoid starts to work (engine cranks)after fixing the ground then good.
      A2)If not then solenoid it is probably bad.
      B.)If a click, then look at how far the battery voltage is dropping
      If nothing then the starter clutch is screwed
      If the battery voltage drops, then the battery is low.

Do some tests and report back.

Comment

How can you think you are doing anything but hijacking the op thread?please start your own thread. If the op comes back the discussion here could get very confusing which is the reason for no high jacking rule.[http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...vo64;2077596]I don't want to hijack this thread exactly but I think I'm having a very similar problem. I have the exact same bike- 1985 GS550L. Have had it since May 2012. Electrics/charging have always been a bit wonky. Battery tended to be weak, offered one or two cranks then died if it didn't start (I got very good at push starting the bike).

Some background: In November I garaged the bike; put it on a trickle charger. In December I left the country with my wife, not to return until just now. Between December and March, bike was on trickle charger, but never started. For some reason in March (I believe) the trickle charger was taken off by my brother in law. I asked him to reattach the charger in June and try to start the bike. He attached a different charger which I now believe doesn't work. He never got the bike started (for the entire 6 months it sat). I came back and tried to start the bike, no juice in the battery. Put the working charger back on the bike, started it an hour later.

Rode for two days, no problems. Was riding down 40 (long, fast road) for about an hour at high speeds, came into town and stopped at some lights. Back up to speed (50+ mph), heard and felt a big bang from the engine. Thought it was a rock hitting the gas tank or the chassis. Bike continued to run fine but pulled over immediately to check for damage. None found.

Tried to restart the bike. Turned the key, got lights. Pushed starter, heard a tick, lights go out. Electrics dead. Turn key off, wait 5 minutes, lights again, starter, tick, electrics dead. Look at battery- it's bulging slightly on one side- probably exploded inside.

So I got it home, removed the battery (carefully!), hooked up a jump starter that we have (no battery in place). Multimeter only reads 6 volts from that, so it's trash. Turn key, multimeter reads 0 volts. Will find a battery today to try.

Question is this- you say check the solenoid for power- my manual doesn't mention a solenoid. Probably different terminology, but can you clarify? This is the manual that I use for my bike:

Will investigate more once I find a battery to borrow...[/QUOTE]

Comment

Bike and symptoms sounded very similar. More than that, I have history on my bike that maybe the OP can relate to.

Anyways, turns out my problem was the battery. Tested with a known working battery, everything works fine.

Apologies to OP for possibly confusing the issue.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          How can you think you are doing anything but hijacking the op thread?please start your own thread. If the op comes back the discussion here could get very confusing which is the reason for no high jacking rule.[http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...vo64;2077596]I don't want to hijack this thread exactly but I think I'm having a very similar problem. I have the exact same bike- 1985 GS550L. Have had it since May 2012. Electrics/charging have always been a bit wonky. Battery tended to be weak, offered one or two cranks then died if it didn't start (I got very good at push starting the bike).

Will investigate more once I find a battery to borrow...
          [/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
          X