Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumped by charging output problem

Hi,

My GS450GA died about two months ago from an electrical problem. I have replaced the battery, what appear to be a burnt coil, and the R&R. No-load output from the strator was within spec, and output from the R&R is between 14-15 volts when not connected to the battery or circuit. However, when connected, the output at the battery is between 13.3 and 13.6 volts.

What gives? The manual says it should be between 14-15 volts. The R&R is by Rick's, which I hear should be a good make.

Any advice?

Originally posted by pmong View Post
    ..., and output from the R&R is between 14-15 volts when not connected to the battery or circuit. ... Any advice?
    Advice? Yeah, don't run it unless the R/R is connected to the battery.

They usually don't fare well unless loaded.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

A man of few words.

Me as well "Quick Test"
      Last edited by posplayr; 06-23-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Thanks. I tested (not rode) not connected to see what the R&R is putting out without a load. But when connected through the wire harness, the voltage with a load at the battery is 13.3-13.6 volts, depending on the RPM. My manual says when tested while battery is connected, the specs call for 14-15 volts at the battery terminals. Other sources also say that it should be in that range.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          A man of few words.

Me as well "Quick Test"
          Ha, ha. My lack of effective communication.

When connected, the voltage at the battery terminal is below spec regardless of RPM. I thought I tested the stator (continuity and no-load output) and the R&R (directionality and resistance), and both seems good. But I am just not getting the right voltage to the battery (13.3-13.6 rather than 14-15 volts).

Comment

Ha, ha. My lack of effective communication.

When connected, the voltage at the battery terminal is below spec regardless of RPM. I thought I tested the stator (continuity and no-load output) and the R&R (directionality and resistance), and both seems good. But I am just not getting the right voltage to the battery (13.3-13.6 rather than 14-15 volts).
            Fortunately many of us here have moved far beyond the Factory Manual for electrical questions. Join us?

"Quick Test"

Comment

Fortunately many of us here have moved far beyond the Factory Manual for electrical questions. Join us?
              "Quick Test"
              OK, a little slow on the draw. Did not realize you wanted me to use the "Quick Test" rather than the testing procedure in the manual. Will do the next time I have some time.

I did check the ground, and seems to be a good connection on the ohm meter. Untaped the harness with the red wire to check for cracks and connection in the split to the battery and the rest of the circuit. Used contact cleaner on the fuse connector.

So, let's see what voltage I get for each of the steps.

Thanks.

Comment

Are you still using bullet connectors from the stator into the harness or R/R? If so, get rid of them and solder instead.

Have you bypassed the stator run that goes through the headlight switch so it goes straight to the R/R?
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  Are you still using bullet connectors from the stator into the harness or R/R? If so, get rid of them and solder instead.

Have you bypassed the stator run that goes through the headlight switch so it goes straight to the R/R?
                  Yes, go to GS Charging Health (see my signature) as well, but first find a volt meter and get a basic read.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I did bypass the circuit that went to the switch when I had a Honda R&R, but not now with the Rick's R&R. I am back to using the harness and original plug.

I can try that, but the AC voltage readings are to spec from the stator whether I measure at the bullet connectors or at the multi-wire plug that normally goes into the R&R. This indicates, I believe, that the bullet connections are not a problem.

Comment

Yes, go to GS Charging Health (see my signature) as well, but first find a volt meter and get a basic read.
                      Will do, probably this weekend.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I did bypass the circuit that went to the switch when I had a Honda R&R, but not now with the Rick's R&R. I am back to using the harness and original plug.

I can try that, but the AC voltage readings are to spec from the stator whether I measure at the bullet connectors or at the multi-wire plug that normally goes into the R&R. This indicates, I believe, that the bullet connections are not a problem.
                        baseless and incorrect assumption

Comment

baseless and incorrect assumption
                          Ok, what is a better way to test if the bullet connections and/or harness wires are problematic or have a short?

I am not an electrician, so sorry for any stupid questions. I am trying to learn and figure things out.

Tested the harness separately by grounding one of the ends of the ohm meter and the other to one of the harness wires. The B/W shows a closed circuit, which I expected. All other wires show an open circuit, which I assume means not shorting to ground.

Previously, I got the same no-load AC voltage output when I tested with the stator disconnected (without the bullets connected), and at the end of the harness (connected at the bullets but not plug connected into the R&R). If there is a bad or poor connection, won't that show up as a lower voltage output through the harness?

Hope my explanation of what I did is clear. Again, not an expert, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Ok, what is a better way to test if the bullet connections and/or harness wires are problematic or have a short?

I am not an electrician, so sorry for any stupid questions. I am trying to learn and figure things out.

Tested the harness separately by grounding one of the ends of the ohm meter and the other to one of the harness wires. The B/W shows a closed circuit, which I expected. All other wires show an open circuit, which I assume means not shorting to ground.

Previously, I got the same no-load AC voltage output when I tested with the stator disconnected (without the bullets connected), and at the end of the harness (connected at the bullets but not plug connected into the R&R). If there is a bad or poor connection, won't that show up as a lower voltage output through the harness?

Hope my explanation of what I did is clear. Again, not an expert, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                            There is a full battery of tests and diagnostics described in "Quick Test" and "GS Charging Health". And you should read "GS Stator" for additional information. See my signature.

As a general rule, if you don't understand a test that you create, it is probably not a very good test. I understand all the tests mentioned above, if you post the results I can help in the diagnosis.

Having said, that I'm not of a mind to spoon feed the information explaining why the tests you are doing are virtually meaningless especially if you have not even bothered to read the descriptions of how to do the tests and the reasons set forth for them.

P.S. after reviewing the rest of the thread, unless I see some numbers posted for the "Quick test" this is my last post here.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 06-25-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Hope that you can have a little patience with me as I try to work this out. Here are some numbers from the Quick Test. Sorry that I did not include them earlier.

1.) key off................Normal 12.7 volts-12.9 volts -- I have 12.7 to 12.8

2.) key on (but not cranking with lights for 10 sec).....Normal 12.2-12.5 volts Drops to about 12.3-12.5.

3.) at idle (1500 rpm).....12.6volts - 13.2volts Slightly over 13.0

4.) at 2500 rpm 13.5 -14.0 volts Get to about 13.5-13.6 (but GS450GA has no tach)

5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts Does not go over 13.6 even when at very high rev (again no tach so just by sound)

6.) key off.....slightly higher than measurements # 1 (12.8-13.0 v) Around 13 volts, depending on how long I have the motor running.

According to your diagnostics, this implies not a good ground. Tested the B/W wire at plug for continuity with a good bolt, and found no measurable resistance. To be safe, went through and cleaned connections with contact cleaner solution just in case. But that did not increase the R&R voltage output at high rev.

Some other tests (no-load AC output, which passed spec), etc. based on manual. Based on result, I eliminated the possible problem with a bad stator and the connection between the stator and the R&R, I think.

Also, tried testing individual wires in the harness to see if I have any shorts or leakage in the wires in the harness. Did not find any with the ohm meter.

I can try your suggestion about rewiring the ground wire (B/W), but I don't want to do that unless necessary. I don't want to cut into the original wire, and I may not do a good job with the rewiring. This would be a last resort.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X