Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keys

Hey GS guys in Dayton Ohio....Who can cut a new key in Dayton. My old key is wearing out !!

Most folks would say Ace Hardware could be a choice but I found here they won't do it. I have a locksmith here in Miamisburg that said he could but haven't had the chance to take him my keys yet. I would suggest stopping into one of the locksmiths and showing them your key.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My local motorcycle shop here cuts them .. I had one cut just on wednesday of last week .. its not a suzuki key but it was a matching blank . He cuts one key for $20 or 2 for $30 .. yeah a little pricy ! But my key looked like a hockey stick and had a crack in it , so didnt want to have it break on me , .. that was the only key I had !!

Comment

Do you have an "original" key that has the key code on it?

Not sure about most of the key-copying kiosks like Ace, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., you need to go to a locksmith. I have not had to do this yet, but can recommend one locksmith to NOT go to. Centerville Lock and Safe. He is a crusty old fart that does not like to do anything that is out of the ordinary. Apparenly, cutting a motorcycle key by the code is "out of the ordinary".

Have you tried a Google search?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you're just making a copy then ACE has the blanks and can cut them. If you need to do it by the key code then a locksmith is your only way to go. So far I've been lucky and have been able to salvage any motorcycle key by simply making a copy of the key I had. I did have to have a key made for my motor home by key code and the locksmith did it then.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

There is a guy on Ebay that sells Suzuki keys by the code number.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The problem I've had with ebay keys by code is the ones I have gotten (2 so far) have both been too short to do the ignition. The key works in the seat lock so I know its correct code.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
                The problem I've had with ebay keys by code is the ones I have gotten (2 so far) have both been too short to do the ignition. The key works in the seat lock so I know its correct code.
                Were you able to have a longer one made from it?
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by lrgguy View Post
                  My local motorcycle shop here cuts them .. I had one cut just on wednesday of last week .. its not a suzuki key but it was a matching blank . He cuts one key for $20 or 2 for $30 .. yeah a little pricy ! But my key looked like a hockey stick and had a crack in it , so didnt want to have it break on me , .. that was the only key I had !!
                  Wow, I had one cut recently cost £3.50

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Were you able to have a longer one made from it?
                    Not from any of the local stores no. Aubuchons (think Ace) are the only ones to try. They failed. Miserably. Haven't been able to find a reputable locksmith to give it a go. Going to order some proper Suzuki blanks before I try. I have a 3 bikes that will need new keys cut at some point. All of them are working but very very worn.

Comment

Check with your local hardware stores to see which ones carry EITHER one of these key blank numbers as they BOTH work on these GS models.

Comment

It isn't an original key. The edges are rounded off and it's getting more difficult to get the key to turn the bike on..

Comment

What is the number on the lock or on the side of the key? (three digits)

Comment

It isn't an original key, it is a duplicate and it has no numbers on it. I don't see any numbers on the ignition switch, were would I find them?

Comment

As I mentioned in another key thread, my local key-cutter (in a pub) fished out a blank from a Japanese car (Honda, or similar) and cut me two separate copies. The original key that was the most worn was difficult to copy well, so I finished it off at home with a diamond file. Both now work properly, and I've retired the originals to the desk drawer for safe-keeping.
                              Cost? About a tenner for both, in total.
                              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X