Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS650 No Start (yes im a noob, sorry in advance for posting a no start thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650 No Start (yes im a noob, sorry in advance for posting a no start thread)

So long story short I have 2 identical 1892 GS650L bikes. I got one running enough to ride it around the block, but it was in need of a carb rebuild, it didn't like it if you gave it too much throttle, would just die out.

I picked up the second bike because it had a lot of new parts, less miles, better cond ect..

I bought them both non running. I still can't get the 2nd bike to even pop over.

At first it had a slow crank / odd cranking behavior (if cranked for more than a few seconds it would get slower and slower like it had too much resistance).

What I have done:

Cleaned up some wiring including the main ground and resolved the cranking issue.

Bought and charged a new battery, my previous one tested at 150CA.

Swapped over the R/R, Ignitor, and tank off of my other bike.

Tested for spark (have spark not sure how strong though)

Checked fuel bowls in all 4 carbs, they all had fuel.

The PO replaced the stator (3 yellow wires, is that the bad one?)

"Rebuilt the carbs and synced" - he said he spend 60 bucks on parts, I'm not sure how great of a job he did so I am going to go back through them.

I also found that the ignitor had been cut open and glued back together, so I don't know if he did a repair (successfully or not).

I went through a can of starting fluid with the bike cranking like hell on a fully charged battery and didn't get so much as a pop. I may try the Mr. Matchless ignition coil relay mod.

Any clue what my issue might be?

Have you tried to contact Steve on this forum?

Comment

Skip using the glued together ignitor - it's likely dead. In any event, the bike doesn't need a R/R , stator, an ignitor,or even carbs to crank over smartly. With a decent battery and connections, the motor should spin no problem. Getting it to fire means checking lots of stuff like this link

Pick the best set of carbs and clean them properly following the guides on Basscliff's site. Try to sort out which bike you like to repair first- leave other till later. Likely lots of maintenance to do.
      Skip the starting fluid
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

After sorting out the wiring issues and with the new battery the bike is cranking like a champ. I am planning on rebuilding the carbs ( I got the kit from cycleorings) I really just wanted to get a baseline with the 2nd bike to see where I'm at with it and just have piece of mind that it actually will start before I really tear into it.

Using all the electrical stuff (other than coils, plugs, plug wires) off of the bike that ran shouldn't the bike at least tried to start. I heard a singular pop in a whole day of messing with it. I knew the carbs needed work, which is why I was just trying to get it to pop off of starting fluid, wouldn't that have taken any fuel issues out of the equation?

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post

Who is Steve? Sorry I'm new to GSResources.

Has anyone tried Kokar's ignitor? I stumbled across it late last night, its for a GS550T, and I haven't researched if it fits a 650 yet. My bro does a lot of work with printed circuit boards, so I was thinking about making one if it works.

Comment

He knows everything about those 650's. When you first log in just check this box at the bottom and click on his name for contact info. He is generally logged in 12-14 hours every day...

What's Going On? Currently Active Users: 70 (56 members and 14 guests) Most users ever online was 182, 04-20-2010 at 04:36 PM.
            akiy, Andy_has_a_GS, bellucci, Bert Patterson, brownford, btbarb, Charlie G, Cheryl, DaveP, dpep, ericeder141, FLHGSRay, garagepunkfan, Gooner, Govee, GS(X)400, harley10, huntb, Jedz123, Jeepfreak81, JTGS850GL, Kimosan, Kiwi Canuck, mikerophone, Mista M, NIGEL R, ohiocaferacer, one_civic, orourkei, posplayr, Quest, RIGGER, Rob S., rodgs1100es, rustybronco, rustyford, signguy35, slayer61, spyug, Steel Toed Tank, Steve, storm 64, SVSooke, TopTechRacing, Weeksz, wegs426, Wheelbreak, Wingsconsin

The GSResource Forums Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by GodSilla650 View Post
              Who is Steve? Sorry I'm new to GSResources.
              He knows everything about those 650's. When you first log in just check this box at the bottom and click on his name for contact info. He is generally logged in 12-14 hours every day...
              Yeah, I know a bit about them. Yeah, I'm here a lot. May be "logged in", but not necessarily in front the computer the whole time.

To get the engine to fire, you need three things:
              1. compression
              2. fuel/air mixture
              3. properly-timed spark

3. You have a spark, but are not sure whether it's timed properly. Chances are that it is.
              2. You already know that the carbs are not providing the proper mixture.
              1. You have no idea of compression.
              One of the biggest problems is TIGHT VALVES, which tend to let compression leak out, to the point that the engine won't start.

You see a pattern yet?

Adjust the valves. Clean/rebuild the carbs. Replace the plugs. DITCH THE STARTING FLUID.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

SPEAK HIS NAME AND HE APPEARS!!!

Thanks for chiming in Steve. I think my desire to ride this bike asap has made me hasty (hence bombing it with starting fluid) and made me forget my basic diagnostic skills.

I will rebuild the carbs, swap the plugs, and use all the parts off of the bike that I had running half assed.

I've never adjusted valves on a motorcycle, but it looks like there are several write ups out there so I should be good. If the compression checks out ok should I still tear into it and adjust the valves before going forward?

I will probably do the ignition coil relay mod since I have some spare relays floating around.

Thanks for your help. I will keep everyone posted with the progress and do write ups with pictures whenever possible.

Comment

SPEAK HIS NAME AND HE APPEARS!!!

I will probably do the ignition coil relay mod since I have some spare relays floating around.

Many here would advise against doing any mods until your trouble shooting is completed. Why risk creating a new set of issues when still diagnosing the old ones..?

Just my 2¢

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                    Many here would advise against doing any mods until your trouble shooting is completed. Why risk creating a new set of issues when still diagnosing the old ones..?

Just my 2¢

Very good advice, however the ignition coil mod is to insure that you are getting a good spark by remedying the voltage drop to your coils if one is present. Not a performance mod per-say, more of a tune up item.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2014, 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Very good advice, however the ignition coil mod is to insure that you are getting a good spark by remedying the voltage drop to your coils IF ONE IS PRESENT. Not a performance mod per-say, more of a tune up item.
                      Have you MEASURED the voltage at the coils?

You might not need the relay.

Over the past 10 or 12 years, we have had about 8 GSes that called our place "home". None of them ever 'needed' the coil relay mod.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Have you MEASURED the voltage at the coils?

You might not need the relay.

Over the past 10 or 12 years, we have had about 8 GSes that called our place "home". None of them ever 'needed' the coil relay mod.

I knew that was coming! I have not yet. The bike is being stored at a friends house about an hour away, that's why I am speculating so much and the times that I have to work on it have been rushed.

I plan to check the voltage before I do the mod, however I don't know if I will get an accurate reading since the bike won't run, I will have to do it while cranking.

Comment

I plan to check the voltage before I do the mod, however I don't know if I will get an accurate reading since the bike won't run, I will have to do it while cranking.
                          You can check the voltage without the engine running or cranking.

Put your red meter lead on the battery + terminal. Put your black meter lead on the orange/white terminal on the coil. Turn the key ON, read your voltage. If it's less than 1 volt, you have NOTHING to worry about. Between 1 and 2 volts, try cleaning your connections between the battery, ignition key, fuse box and coils. More than 2 volts, clean the connections anyway, but go ahead and try the coil mod.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            You can check the voltage without the engine running or cranking.

I am planning on working on the bike tonight. I will check the voltage before doing the coil mod for sure.

I rebuilt my carbs with the kit from cycleorings.com, pretty straight forward and painless (other than my wife complaining that our apartment smelled like gas and insisting on me taking them outside)... ok I will admit it was a bit fumey.

I plan on adjusting the valves, I have seen a few youtube videos, but I was wondering if there is a good write up out there with specs and all? Are the specs different depending on the cc motor 650/750 ect..

Comment

I am planning on working on the bike tonight. I will check the voltage before doing the coil mod for sure.

I rebuilt my carbs with the kit from cycleorings.com, pretty straight forward and painless (other than my wife complaining that our apartment smelled like gas and insisting on me taking them outside)... ok I will admit it was a bit fumey.

I plan on adjusting the valves, I have seen a few youtube videos, but I was wondering if there is a good write up out there with specs and all? Are the specs different depending on the cc motor 650/750 ect..
                              Here you go:

The tutorial is for an 850 but the process is exactly the same.

Cheers!
                              K

Comment

Working...
                              X