Correct place for earth straps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct place for earth straps.

I finally got around to running the earth from the R/R direct to the battery and had a close look at the earths.
    As things stand I have six.
    a) big starter motor size cable from battery neg to engine mount bracket at lhs of airbox. Is this the correct place for this?
    b) two black and white wires. Ok I guess
    c) R/R earth to batt Ok
    d) earth wire from starter relay mount screw on battery box to engine mount bracket as a) above. This seems a crazy way to ground the starter relay.
    e) hardwired trickle charger

The battery is starting to look like a Christmas tree.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Congratulations for worrying about your grounds. Unfortunately you have not paid much attention to my various instructions on single point grounding. See gs charging health in my signature.

As a general rule I never make the negative terminal of the battery the single point ground. That approach is based on the naive assumption that all current goes back to the battery. It does not.
    Last edited by posplayr; 07-13-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

What can I say. She starts easier, the headlight is brighter and actually brightens as she revs up, the horns blow your ears off, the list goes on. Battery is showing 12.2V dropping to 11.9 with headlight light on and rising to 14.4V at 5000rpm. I've got an aftermarket 5 wire R/R (three yellows). Stator looks new, all three direct to the R/R but one was teed off to that loop thing but the return wire was cut. Direct fused feed from R/R to batt +ve.
      All I did was run the R/R -ve direct to the batt -ve, cut that loop thing out completely and cleaned every plug in sight and some that weren't.
      Planning to move the harness returns to the R/R.
      Question. Where on the frame to bring the large wires from the batt -ve and the R/R single point ground ?
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

You'll want to find the closest practical place on the frame from the R/R mounting point

For me, it was the right hand rear air box mount (I have removed my airbox and am running pods). All your ground wires need to be as short as practically possible.

As for the two wires coming from the battery NEG, the big 8 gauge OEM ground strap goes to the engine block, and the 2nd ground wire goes to the R/R mounting point. From the R/R mounting point, a separate ground wire goes to the closest possible location on the frame itself (for me, it was the right hand side rear mount for the factory air box, since I am not running the air box.)

Tons of good reading here: (also Jim's thread)

Last edited by Cassius086; 07-14-2014, 02:19 PM.
        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Working...
        X