Blown fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown fuses

Hi. I have just received a 1979 GS850 and I know very little about it. It is a shaft drive. This bike was left outside for years and I am going to see if I can bring it back to life. My flasher is destroyed from water and rust. I replaced it with a cheap two prong and had all lights except turn signals. I tried putting a better 3 prong electronic flasher in place and now have no lights at all. I checked the five fuses at the left side cover. Are there any fuses elsewhere? I havent found any. I understand there is a separate relay control somewhere around the speedometer for the self cancelling turn signals. Thank you for any direction. Jeff Hebert.

Welcome. Here is about everything you need to know about an 850. Cliff's is an '80 and yours is a '79, but, just about everything is the same, except the carbs. Actually, a lot of the info there crosses over to all GS's.
    If it were me, I'd get it running and road worthy before I worry about the turn signals.

Good Luck.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Eljeef View Post
      Hi. I have just received a 1979 GS850 and I know very little about it. It is a shaft drive. This bike was left outside for years and I am going to see if I can bring it back to life. My flasher is destroyed from water and rust. I replaced it with a cheap two prong and had all lights except turn signals. I tried putting a better 3 prong electronic flasher in place and now have no lights at all. I checked the five fuses at the left side cover. Are there any fuses elsewhere? I havent found any. I understand there is a separate relay control somewhere around the speedometer for the self cancelling turn signals. Thank you for any direction. Jeff Hebert.
      There is a recent thread about flasher replacement. What you do will be dependent on your bike. There is a link to a torito rial for Basscliff's 850 provided.

You need to absorb what is being written.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome. I am not so concerned about the turn signals right now as I am the loss of power. That is the target of my question. I could only find five fuse behind the side cover. Are there any other fuses hiding that I might check. I intend to get the bike running and then ascertain what she needs. Thanks again.

Comment

Best to do some reading at Basscliff's link - figuring out electrical stuff requires an ability to understand wiring diagrams, so here's one

Are you sure you got a 79 and not a 80 ? The 80 came with electronic ignition setup - no points!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well, I have power going into my starter solenoid but not coming out of it. I was told the bike was a '79 but I don't know for sure. The label on the steering stock is too chewed up to discern. Is there some part of the bike I can take a picture of to post and have expert identification take place?

Comment

Do your carbs look like those in this pic?
              You'll have power going to solenoid (on one terminal), but nothing "out" till the ignition system is powered up and starter button is operational.Since this critter was left outside for years, you can count on having electrical issues.And then there's lots of maintenance to catch up on,so get reading or cut your losses now!
              Attached Files
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Eljeef View Post
                I was told the bike was a '79 but I don't know for sure. ... Is there some part of the bike I can take a picture of to post and have expert identification take place?
                It's even easier than that.

Does it hav a kick starter?

'79 850s were the only 850s to have a kicker.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well that is easy. Yes it does have a kickstarter. Thank you.

Comment

There shouldn't be any other fuses, except a single fuse in separate box which is hooked up to other five. Of course po could have install something else. Might try turning key on and jumping across the two bolts on solenoid and see if turns starter over. Clean any and all elec. connectors that can only help. terrylee

Comment

Working...
                    X