Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the easiest way to remedy my Charging system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Easiest way or would you prefer to do it correctly?
    Both - Easy and Correct.

I don't have a garage for long drawn out projects therefore I need this project to be simple, fast and effective.

And for those of you who are tired of seeing the same questions, may I suggest that a VERY SIMPLE and EASY TO FOLLOW for the LAYPERSON who is not an electrical engineer set of instructions be assembled.

Now I'm not stupid, but reading the pertinent posts on this topic makes my head spin.

BG
    Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM. Reason: amendment

Comment

Electrical is one of the easiest things to understand by primary principles, but becomes complicated once you start adding in series and parallel loads, resistance and heat. To top off the matter, looking at a photocopied wiring diagram in B&W can easily frustrate even those with plenty of experience. There have been a few attempts to create threads to simplify things, but there are an abundance of potential problem areas that can't all be addressed in a single thread.

Bear in mind that working on the electrical system is the one thing on your motorcycle that can be endlessly tiring, because you can't see, hear, or feel the parts moving. However, you can easily test the individual circuits it for continuity, and it will let you know in short course if you've messed something up. It will also come back to bite you hard if you take shortcuts.

As already noted a couple of times, you COULD replace the stator and R/R, but if you are already finding the information overwhelming, then digging into the wiring for those two bits might just blow your mind. Addtionally, the battery could be fried (and probably is if the R/R went out and wasn't regulating the voltage). Also, just by replacing those things, you still might not address the other problems of corrosion, resistance, exposed wiring, etc in the connectors.

I know you have recorded the voltage at 5k rpm, but let's start going at things systematically.

Step 1: Find a known, good battery, install it then

Step 2: Do the quick test and post all of the results. (This one is quick and simple)
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BGbraces View Post
        Both - Easy and Correct.

Now I'm not stupid, but reading the pertinent posts on this topic makes my head spin.

BG
        Start with the simple Quick Test- 6 steps! It offers clues to narrow down your potential problem . Your head can spin later!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X