Removing the regulator rectifier wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing the regulator rectifier wtf?

I have a '82 gs650g for reference. The r/r is held on by two phillips head screws that are directly in line with the two swingarm cross tubes. I cannot get a straight shot with any combination of screwdriver or extension I have. And of course they are soft and ready to strip if I attempt to loosen them with the screwdriver at any kind of angle. Everything looks stock but this just seems ridiculous. Any insight on how to make these two screws not an all day project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Remove battery.remove two hex head bolts that hold ignitor/rect plate to air filter box.Now you can swing it towards you and use vice grip pliers (only genuine ones please) to bite into screw heads holding R/R .
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

i've got an 81 gs650g and you need to pull the battery, the battery box/tray, and then there should be 2 bolts on the bottom of the airbox facing you (from the left side/battery side cover when you're looking at it) that you'll remove and the bracket that holds both the r/r and the ignitor will come off. just make sure to put the ground back on when you reinstall the bracket. i think i smoke checked mine because i put the ground up by the fuse block instead of the r/r-ignitor bracket.

Comment

I'll give it a whirl. Thanks all!

Comment

Those aren't Phillip head screws, those JIS type fasteners. A regular type phillip head screwdriver can and most often will strip those.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X