1985 gs550e lost electrical while riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 gs550e lost electrical while riding

So first off I just want to say that I have not worked on this bike at all other than oil changes and other minor maintainance. I have a manual for it but unfortunately cannot look at it now because my buddy and I just pushed my bike almost half a mile to his house.

I take this bike for long rides often, tonight I was 5 minutes down the road from work and my bike lost power, idled very rough for about 30 seconds, then shut off and had no lights or anything. We did a very quick roadside visual inspection and couldn't find any bad wires.

I read through the threads about stator and regulator/rectifier problems and I'm kinda leaning towards that being the problem. The stator is like a year old though. If anybody could give me some insight as to where I should be starting this diagnostics tomorrow I would appreciate it. I took my jeep off te road YESTERDAY to do a project on it, of course this happens now.

Make sure nothing came loose. Easier to do when you can see better. It may be something simple.

Comment

Replace the main fuse even if it looks good.
      Clean the fuse block.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Its most likely the regulator\rectifier.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...31&postcount=1

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't get a chance to look at the bike this morning, I gotta work in half an hour and I still don't know how I'm going to get it home. I'll figure it out. Maybe I can look at it for a few hours tomorrow morning before work.

Comment

Plenty of posts here on the R/R and stator issues. If your bike has the OEM R/R, you'll want to replace with a Honda or series type. I replaced my E's OEM R/R with a Compufire linked here.

Do Posplayr's tests in the GS Charging System Health link JEEPRUSTY linked above on a fully charged battery and go from there.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

So it turns out a blew a main fuse, but why? I combed over most of the wires on the bike and althought I found lots of custom wires I didn't see anything that would cause it to short. Also, my high beam works when the bike is sitting in neutral but not while riding, any ideas on that?

Comment

Working...
              X