Charging system 1981 gs650e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system 1981 gs650e

I'm not sure if I have a bad battery or charging system. Should I be able to remove the negative Battery cable with the bike running and it continue to run? Mine dies if I pull the - cable with it running......

Originally posted by kckershovel View Post
    I'm not sure if I have a bad battery or charging system. Should I be able to remove the negative Battery cable with the bike running and it continue to run? Mine dies if I pull the - cable with it running......
    What you describe is one of the best ways to fry your charging system.

Comment

Thank You for the help.

Comment

Thank You for the help.
        You are welcome.

Comment

So is the bring to 2500 rpm and check for 13+ volts at the battery the correct way to test? I'm new to GS's

Comment

Thank You for the help.
            That's not "help", it's sound advice ! How about taking a more conservative route to checking your charging system ? Go here ,do the quick test, and report all 6 results(note that you must with fully charged battery)

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Key off 12.56 key on not running 12.1 running all rpm 12.1 key off 12.56

Comment

If you are not seeing an increase in voltage with RPM, then you have an R/R problem, stator issue, or possibly both.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Not busting your chops, but what was your thought process in pulling the negative lead?
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

To be perfectly honest it is a friends bike and he had done the pull - cable before I talked with him. I'm not sure what his thinking was. I told him I would ask so I did. Since then I have walked him through the testing procedures over the phone and the stator failed the ohm resistance test.

Comment

To answer your original question, these bikes need at least a semi-working battery in order for the ignition system to work.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

That is what I thought. That is why I asked but it turns out his stator was bad anyway. We will be putting a stator in it in the next few days.

Comment

That is what I thought. That is why I asked but it turns out his stator was bad anyway. We will be putting a stator in it in the next few days.
                          And what about the R/R?

Comment

He is trying to spend as little as possible. How do we test the R/R? I know allot of people change both at the same time.

Comment

He is trying to spend as little as possible. How do we test the R/R? I know allot of people change both at the same time.
                              If the stator is bad, it is because the R/R killed it whether the R/R survived or not. So why do you need to test the R/R?

Comment

Working...
                              X