Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown main fuse and coil

Hey all,

I just recently replaced my stator and RR in attempt to alleviate my starting and running issues I was having. When I was hooking up the stator to the RR, I noticed two wires unhooked and could not find a connection for them. The two wires branched from the main wire harness grouped with the hot(Red) wire that goes to the RR. It did not appear to me that these wires were involved with the charging system, so I left them alone.

Upon start up, my bike appeared to be running great so I inspected the voltage, and it appeared normal at idle and at 5000 RPM. I took it for a test drive and had no problems, 30 mins in i was going over an overpass with some elevation to it (around 50 Mph) which was when I lost power to my bike.

I blew my main fuse and after replacement, i noticed the bike running sporadically and would not respond correctly. I noticed my inner two pipes were cold to the touch.

Any suggestions on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated, i am afraid to just replace the coil as it could happen again.

Thanks!

Originally posted by larson7 View Post
    Any suggestions on what I should do now would be greatly appreciated, ...
    Actually I have TWO suggestions.

1. TELL US WHAT BIKE YOU ARE WORKING ON. We have a hint that it's a four-cylinder, but we need more.

2. Tell us what color the wires are that you ignored.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, my bike is a 80 GS 550 and the two wires that are unhooked are both white, and one has a red stripe while the other has a green stripe. The wires are on the same "branch" as the regulator hot wire

Comment

Those wires seem to be ones that were involved in headlight stator loop stuff.How did you wire in the new stator and R/R ? Follow posplayr's tips or ???
        If you look at this wiring diagram , you'll see . This diagram is for a 81 650 ,but this stuff is similar
        Note the regulator and generator at bottom of diagram.

Update your signature to reflect your bike (user CP top left this page)
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I can take a picture, but my three stator phase wires are hooked directly into the RR, and the RR has two ground wires along with a red wire that plugs back into the wiring harness. The RR is of honda orgin SH-XXX, the label is worn off.

Comment

Originally posted by larson7 View Post
            I can take a picture, but my three stator phase wires are hooked directly into the RR, and the RR has two ground wires along with a red wire that plugs back into the wiring harness. The RR is of honda orgin SH-XXX, the label is worn off.
            All sounds correct except you did not mention a sense wire. Is it 5 wire or 6 wire?

Comment

sh232-12 is the model number of the RR, it has 6 wires, 3 stator phase wires, two green(to which i presumed grounds, which may be my problem) and a red hot wire that i believe feeds 12v dc back to the system.

Comment

Check VERY carefully, your two "green" wires might be one green, one black or one green and one brown.

Either way, one of them is going to be a "sense" wire and needs to be connected to a switched "hot" wire, not a ground.

Wait for confirmation which wire is "sense" and which is ground, I don't remember which is which.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The SH-232-12 ! the R/R that I dumped for the SH-775 (though I still have one mounted as backup).
                  next to the obvious green wire is actually a smaller gauge wire which is BLACK- the sense wire. You're supposed to connect this to a switched 12 volt source, but for testing purposes you can just connect it direct to positive battery - its current draw is minuscule. If you leave it like this, you'll need an inline fuse for safety.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Upon Further Inspection, I do have two green wires, one is a smaller diameter and if i remember right was very long before i trimmed it and put a hoop terminal on it. This leads me to believe that this may be the sense wire.

I also took a look at both of my coils and they measured 4.0 ohms. I also measured the voltage from the pigtail that powers the cable, and with the headlight off they both measure around 11.5V and with it on they measure around 10.25 V.

Being that i have a bike that has a headlight switch, do I have to accommodate for the white with green and red with green wires? I have read in the stator papers that these regulate the third phase if the headlight switch is turned off.

I am considering just purchasing the Dyna-S Coils and was wondering if the electronic pickup unit from Dyna would benefit my already electrical ignition system in any way.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

is this a Honda Shindigen RR? if so the both green wires should be grounds; put rings on both and put one to the RR mounting plate and one to the frame where the harness grounds to. black is the sense wire IIRC from my previous setup. stock Suzuki coils should have 3.0 ohms of impedance as should Dyna replacements. your voltages are too low. you likely have high resistance due to oxidation in the many connections the current must travel in order to reach the coils. clean and inspect all the connections and recheck. search the forum for the coil relay mod and consider doing this. you can also search for Posplayr's kill switch wiring mod to take the large current loads out of the right switchgear after you have done the coil relay mod. this will however bypass your headlight on/off switch and will re-route the heavy wire directly over to the other switchgear for dimmer switch operation, and your headlamp will be on all the time (not a bad thing). fewer connections means less chance of oxidation/corrosion and high resistance

the stator loop wires (white with green stripe/white with red stripe) should be abandoned and all 3 stator legs wired direct to the RR.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X