How can i protect my cdi box,Tr Igniter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can i protect my cdi box,Tr Igniter

I just shelled out 200 bucks and i had previously blown the original after having it run for about a minute off of a car battery. i noticed that every time i turned on the key without pressing the start button. It would smoke and make that foul smell. Is there anyway i can install a fuse so that just incase theres a short somewhere that i can protect it and if so. How many amps and which wires. negative or positive. 1982 Gs450 L Thanks god bless

You need to review your bike's electrical system thoroughly- it was designed to run reliably when it left Japan, so throwing an extra fuse at it is just a band-aid.If this bike is new to you, suspect some previous owners' handiwork.
    Connecting it to a non running car battery shouldn't have been a problem under normal circumstances.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

$200 for an ignitor sounds high. Doesn't Dynatech make a Dyna-S that fits the 450 for less money?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What part did you blow exactly?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i guess its just my paranoia, i basically want to make sure that after i reconnect the new igniter it doesnt overheat like the other. the other one was hot enough to make the potting in the back ooze. it wouldnt turn when i clicked start but as soon as the key was turned to on position it would ooze and get hot. i checked the stator, seems to be out of ohm range but its not grounded so thats one ok one. the coils were working fine the last time it was running. but i wanted to know what possible shorts in the system could cause the igniter to go bad. ie example which one of the wires from the igniter would actually be able to deliver that kinda energy to cause it to go bad. maybe i could splice a fuse between the wire and source just incase. you know what i mean. when the bike is turned half way on. i can get electronics to work turn signals light horn even turn the engine over. but when i turn the key all the way to on. the lights shut off and not a thing but im assuming its because no igniter is connected.

i went out to buy parts for making a cdi but failed to continue even though i bought everything i just couldnt find the proper capacitor to do the job my electrical knowledge is kinda wimpy i can follow directions atleast a bit.

its an old 1982 gs450l beautiful condition too just needs some electrical work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jptech11 View Post
            i guess its just my paranoia, i basically want to make sure that after i reconnect the new igniter it doesnt overheat like the other. the other one was hot enough to make the potting in the back ooze. it wouldnt turn when i clicked start but as soon as the key was turned to on position it would ooze and get hot. i checked the stator, seems to be out of ohm range but its not grounded so thats one ok one. the coils were working fine the last time it was running. but i wanted to know what possible shorts in the system could cause the igniter to go bad. ie example which one of the wires from the igniter would actually be able to deliver that kinda energy to cause it to go bad. maybe i could splice a fuse between the wire and source just incase. you know what i mean. when the bike is turned half way on. i can get electronics to work turn signals light horn even turn the engine over. but when i turn the key all the way to on. the lights shut off and not a thing but im assuming its because no igniter is connected.

i went out to buy parts for making a cdi but failed to continue even though i bought everything i just couldnt find the proper capacitor to do the job my electrical knowledge is kinda wimpy i can follow directions atleast a bit.

its an old 1982 gs450l beautiful condition too just needs some electrical work.
            check the resistance (you need more like 3-4 ohms) in the coils, sounds like they draw too much current for your ignitor and it over heats.

Comment

Yes,check ignition coils for 4 ohms resistance.But might also be a short from ignitor to one of the ignition coils-this would be tricky to find. By the way, you don't need a functioning charging system (stator and R/R) to get bike to start and run.
              It's sounds like someone has messed with things before you- study the wiring diagram and look for signs of "repair" work, like tape: this link might have suitable wiring diagram.

Other ignition systems are available, see Pete's post here

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just wanted to be sure you are thinking the right way here.

This is the statement that made me wonder:
                How can i protect my cdi box, ...
                Just so you know, an in-line fuse does NOT protect your "cdi box" (it's actually the 'ignitor'), your headlights or anything else.

A fuse is used in any system to protect the wiring harness when your "cdi" (ignitor) fails, not the other way around.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok first you need to do as Tom says and your going to hear it a lot! First you need to go through your wiring harness and clean or replace each and every connection your bike will LOVE YOU for it. Yes its going to take some time but the performance will be insurmountable. 2nd now that everything is clean check through your charging system R/R and stator.

And in closing Welcome to GSR!

My old 850 i went through 4 igniters an R/R and a set of coils before i listened.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I wish i wasnt so lazy to post instructionals. Im getting pretty good at taking things apart. and believe it or not i know how to the stock air box off in less than 2 minutes properly. You gotta remove the lower batter bracket and the side cover for the clutch cable and you turn in sideways and then pull it out. just like when moving into a home and the couch is a bit big. I remove all the tape from the wiring harness and retaped it with electrical taped checked most of the splices they have no rust. Actually everything seems sound except for the rear brake sensor cable it was corded as heck. That has to be cleaned and then maybe actual electronics but they were covered under a tarp since 1998 in los angeles dry weather so i noticed vehicles are much less prone to rusting out here in la. I so far bought a tr igniter, regulator rectifier, rear tail lampwith fender assembly, new oil filter, new petcock rebuild kit. I bought for the first time diaphrams for the carbs but i have to install them myself from a special company that specializes in making them theyre 19.99 a piece sure beats paying 50 and up for a used and 100 plus for new. and i bought

So basically lets do this since i plan to sell this beauty soon.

Here is my cost so far

Bike 450$
                    Truck Rental $40
                    New Battery $70
                    Misc Carb cleaner blabla $40

Parts

CDI ECU Suzuki GS250 GSX400 GS450 1980 1981 1982 Blackbox Ignitor (CD2406D)$207.00

Regulator Rectifier
                    $50.50

K&N OIL FILTER KN-133 SUZUKI GS500/F/H/E GSF400 GSXR/250/400 GSX400/750 GS450L $7.00

1981-1982 Suzuki GS450 TX/TZ K&L Fuel Petcock Repair Kit #18-4344
                    $25.09

M-73 mm Diaphragm-M-73 Diaphragm fits Mikuni BS34CV and most BS36CV carbs with 73mm diameter OD$19.502 $39.00
                    $

1977-1987 Suzuki GS400 GS450 GS 400 450 CLYMER MANUAL
                    Item# 390890808815 $29.45

Suzuki GN250 GS300 GS425 GS450 Fork Seals #07 80 81 82 83 84 85 1980 1981 1982
                    Item# 330444234348 $16.97 USD

1981 Suzuki GS450 GS 450 Rear Chain Tensioners
                    Item# 360976884922 $10.73USD

SUZUKI GS450 GS250T GS450E GS450T IGNITION COIL 33410-44220 or 33420-44220
                    Item# 250994547933 $61.34USD

Digital Voltmeter Ammeter Ohmmeter Multimeter Volt AC DC Tester Meter XL-830L US
                    Item# 271496690158 $7.88 USD

$1105 Total and not a cent for countless hours of labor :/ i started this project for profit but i guess im only gonna make about 900 bucks all together cuz this bikes worth alot more than 2 grand. Immaculate condition. Body and everything. Taking offers now haha jp its my first bike i want to learn how to ride. CANT WAIT TO MAKE IT ROAD WORTH

Comment

$1105 Total and not a cent for countless hours of labor :/ i started this project for profit but i guess im only gonna make about 900 bucks all together cuz this bikes worth alot more than 2 grand. Immaculate condition. Body and everything. Taking offers now haha jp its my first bike i want to learn how to ride. CANT WAIT TO MAKE IT ROAD WORTH
                      I didn't see any expenses for tires, brake lines, caliper rebuilds, master cylinder rebuilds or paint.

And, ... the expenses for manuals, truck rental and tools don't count toward the value of the bike.

Hopefully you plan on riding it until you get your 2 grand, because you will be putting a LOT of miles on it while you wait.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X