Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system: Electrosport stator and r/r install help please

Hi

i was having problems with my charging system so i am currently having the stator and r/r replaced. The guy
    who is doing the job was going to connect one of the yellows from the new stator to the white wire with a green
    tracer which, per the wiring diagram, goes to the on/off switch for the lights. From the on/off switch, a white
    wire with a red tracer goes to the r/r. I was trying to tell the guy who is fixing this to connect the three stator
    wires to the r/r wires directly. He said he would look over the circuit diagram to gain a better understanding of this.

Now my question:

Based on what was shared with him, he was willing to connect the three stator output yellows to
    the three r/r input yellows which is cool. However, he was thinking of disconnecting the white wire
    with the green tracer from the stator output wire and disconnecting the white wire with the red tracer
    from the r/r input and covering those ends. If it is done that way, will it create a short circuit if the white
    wires with the red and green tracers are not disconnected from the on/off light switch?? It appears
    that the guy fixing this was not planning on removing both of the white wires with the red and green
    tracers completely out of the wiring harness in order to save time.

Thoughts anyone??

Yeah, I have a thought.

I thought it would be REAL NICE to know what bike we are talking about.

Some of what you have described is general practice, but there are some other parts that are bike-specific.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Why did you get an Electrosport R/R? They are old technology shunt R/R's. You would have done as well getting a stock Suzuki R/R. Having said that, I would recommend neither. The Electrosport stator is fine, I have one on my bike and am very happy with it but the only R/R I would ever recommend is a Series type. There are hundreds of posts on the subject. You can plug the loop wires from the light switch together if you like to tidy it up or tape them. It's only purpose was to open the circuit and disable the stator output that ran through them when the headlight switch was off so it wouldn't overcharge the system. If you use the Electrosport R/R, you need to use the loop if your switch will turn off the headlight. If the light is always on go ahead and abandoned them and wire directly to the R/R.
      Last edited by OldVet66; 08-06-2014, 12:02 AM.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Hi

thanks for the input.

1) are you saying that if the electrosport r/r is used, that the stator should not be wired directly to it and that the loop through the on/off lights switch should remain and be used? Why?

2) also, you shared that a series type stock suzuki r/r would have been the better choice. Why? Can you explain? I am learning, so further feedback would be greatly appreciated at this stage. Perhaps i need to tell the repair guy to order a series type stock suzuki r/r and use it instead.

3) lastly, if the electrosport r/r is used, could this lead to potential circuit damage??

My motorcycle is a 1979 suzuki gs750l. The r/r is mounted in a weird spot on this motorcycle (underneath the battery holder).

Comment

Originally posted by ATM View Post
          1) are you saying that if the electrosport r/r is used, that the stator should not be wired directly to it and that the loop through the on/off lights switch should remain and be used? Why?

2) also, you shared that a series type stock suzuki r/r would have been the better choice. Why? Can you explain? I am learning, so further feedback would be greatly appreciated at this stage. Perhaps i need to tell the repair guy to order a series type stock suzuki r/r and use it instead.

3) lastly, if the electrosport r/r is used, could this lead to potential circuit damage??

My motorcycle is a 1979 suzuki gs750l. The r/r is mounted in a weird spot on this motorcycle (underneath the battery holder).
          1)Regardless of which R/R you use, please wire all three stator wires directly to the R/R. The loop that USED to go to the headlight switch (back when there was actually a headlight switch) actually just goes to a plug that is either under the tank or in the headlight bucket and returns. There are simply too many unnecessary points along the way where corrosion can be introduced.

2)There is no stock Suzuki series-type R/R. The current favorites are Compufire, for about $150 and Polaris, for about $80. I don't have the part numbers for either one right now, but there are litterally hundreds of threads on the topic, it won't take much of a search to find them.

3)If you use ANY shunt-style R/R (that includes the Electrosport), you stand a chance of frying the stator. The problem is that with a shunt-style R/R, the stator is putting out all it can, all the time. The series-style R/R interrupts the flow to control voltage, rather than shunting it to ground, and that reduces overall current. Lower overall current also reduces temperatures and extends life. The stator is likely the only "circuit" that would be damaged.

4) There is nothing "weird" about your R/R location, that's where it is on my 850s. The easiest way to access it is to remove the battery box. Just remove the few items that are hanging on the right side, remove the one screw that holds the panel on the left that holds the solenoid and fuse panel to the battery box. Then remove the one or two bolts that hold the box to the frame and lift it out, giving you access to the R/R on the bottom. It takes almost as long to read this as it does to do it.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ATM; this link explaining stuff was offered before,so take advantage...

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The only reason I mentioned using the loop is that on your bike, a '79, you can turn off the light switch. If it inadvertently got turned off it will overcharge. The same thing will happen if a headlight bulb burned out on any GS bike. With series R/R's available it makes no sense to take that chance. The Compu-Fire is part # 55402 and The SH-775, Polaris part # 4012941. A plug harness that will fit the SH-775 is Triumph part # T2500676. I guess Steve is right about just wiring it direct anyway. The reason I really dislike the Electrosport R/R besides it being shunt technology is that it was brought to my attention in a thread where someone went through, I believe, three Electrosport stators in rapid succession. It turned out the Electrosport R/R's were the culprit.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I am dealing with the exact same problem. w/g w/r disconnected what did you ever find out with that

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteDeath View Post
                  I am dealing with the exact same problem. w/g w/r disconnected what did you ever find out with that
                  Did you ever read GS charging health in my signature? g/w and R/w are just left unconnected snd there will be no power on them. And you can repurpose them.

Comment

Working...
                  X