LED load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED load?

I have a stock charging system in the 77 750 I have just replaced the stator and all is well...my question is would replacing turn signals or the brake/tail light with an LED light put un due load on the stator and the charging system?
    I have a Cateye tail light with the Std 1157 bulb in it but was looking for something brighter and more visible but don't want to risk any charging system damage. Any thoughts would be great..thanks.

JC
    1977 GS 750 "Black Betty"

If you want to keep the "all is well " stuff, make sure you have read this link. Do you still have a separate regulator and rectifier,or have you upgraded to combo unit?
    Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Until you upgrade to a series-type R/R (Rectifier/Regulator), the load on your stator will not change.

That is because the stock system of voltage regulation is to simply shunt any execss directly to ground. The stator still puts out all that it can, all the time, but with LEDs, you will be shunting more to ground, due to lower current requirements of the LEDs. The load on the stator remains the same, your stock regulator will have to work harder to shunt more.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I recently did a comparison of various led bulb replacements for 1166 and 1167 bulbs as well as smaller dash lights. I don't have any numbers in front of me but as I recall the led's generally pull only about 1/8 of the current of a incandescent equivalent. Of the various colors , either green or yellow seemed to pull more current. Red, amber, and white were near or at the bottom.
        after sorting though various vendors on amazon, I found some led bulbs for all my brakes and signals that were close to same brightness if not more and much less current. I still have an HID to install but it is 55w so not looking for any savings there. On the later big bikes there are a lot of high powered idiot lights that you can find replacements for as well.

Comment

I still have the separate regulator and rectifier...its just not in my budget right now to upgrade...wich is why I was wondering about changing bubs..sounds like I should keep the stock 1157 in until I can upgrade the r/r...Id rather not put any undue stress on the stock regulator...thanks for the relies and the link..much appreciated.

JC
          1977 GS 750 "Black Betty"

Comment

A new Polaris SH-775 unit will cost about $75 shipped....just FYI
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Until you upgrade to a series-type R/R (Rectifier/Regulator), the load on your stator will not change.

That is because the stock system of voltage regulation is to simply shunt any execss directly to ground. The stator still puts out all that it can, all the time, but with LEDs, you will be shunting more to ground, due to lower current requirements of the LEDs. The load on the stator remains the same, your stock regulator will have to work harder to shunt more.

Yea I guess I spaced, not realizing he said stock charging. To OP and as Steve described, because of the operation of a shunt r/r you will stress the stator if you reduce the load. Going to Series R/r will give you the best way to reduce electrical load and not stress anything.

Comment

Working...
              X