Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing... Help!

Greetings Ladies & Gents,
    first time contributor(help seeker) here, thanks for the warm reception. I know you can help me...
    I'm totally stumped. I bought a GS750 79' over a year ago and began work. Pistons, rings, dipped carbs, lapped valves, shimmed, new points/condensers, new coils, etc.. I run pods and a 4-1 Mac. Recently it was struggling to rev over 5,000rpm and hesitated after releasing the clutch at low rpm.
    I read somewhere here that it might be a condenser, so I bought additional condensers to see if I had a dodgy one. After changing those out I went about setting the static timing. I followed the procedure set out by Bikecliff. I turned the beaker plate until the light flickered out and when i tightened the screws on the breaker plate for the right side points (cylinders 2/3) the light would come back on. I tried again and again and it always happened no matter where the plate was located. I set it as best as I could and cranked it over. I got nothing but backfires and hissing out of the pods (sometimes smoke) like it is igniting in the carb throat/intake manifold. It never did start.. I'm assuming the timing is completely out, but what it could be? - I have no clue. When I did have the plate set where the light was no longer lit, each time I leaned on the 19mm wrench to turn the crank the bulb would light up again...
    Also, whilst changing the condensers I also removed the breaker plates to access the right side crankshaft seal and replaced it. It was leaking slowly. I was very methodical in my approach to the work so I don't feel that I made any errors reassembling, there just aren't that many parts. :/
    I've searched the forum endlessly to find any answers previously supplied but to no avail. I'm so impressed with the knowledge you all share and I appreciate any help coming my way.
    thank you.

"....I tightened the screws on the breaker plate for the right side points (cylinders 2/3) the light would come back on. I tried again and again and it always happened"

sounds like short in wiring,bad condenser. Was this the stuff you read and followed ?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, Tom203 for your reply. Apologies for the slow response. I actually woke in the middle of the night with the answer to my problem. You recall I mentioned that I changed the crank seal behind the points... Anyway, when doing that the ignition governor cam (for the lack of a better word) slipped off the shaft and when I slid it back on I was 180degrees out. That fixed the timing and with the new condensers the bike sounds strong and the throttle is crisp. I'll be heading out in the morning to see if it is as impressive under load. I'll be back soon. I love this site. The Mrs. has Facebook and I've got the GS Resource.... sweet..

Comment

Working...
      X