voltage irregularities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

voltage irregularities

Hey guys, not sure if my issue has been discussed in the past, BUT, yesterday was wiring my 1000SN and as I have put a GSXR750 brake mastercylinder on, the connectors to switch need to be changed. Thought I would take a shortcut to test whether front brake would activate brakelight, and bridged`across feed (O/G and W/B) earth in headlight shell. I blew something, now when I measure voltage across 2 lower fuses, 13.5v with ignition off. With ignition on, 4.7v at fuses, but frame live at 7.2v. ????? got me buggered! I obviously have a dead short somewhere, but cant find it. Fuses appear fine- have I blown Reg/Rectifier? HELP- any advice appreciated.

Well, first of all, to test the brake light, you do NOT bridge the feed to the earth. Obviously, you WILL blow something.

To test the brake light, you need to bridge the O/G feed wire to the WHITE wire that goes to the brake light.

Not sure why the frame would be live, but at the very least, you would have blown the SIGNALS fuse.

Hopefully you have removed your bridge from the O/G wire to the W/B wire.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know what has you confused. When you touch a hot wire and ground together you create a dead short and something is going to blow out, hopefully a fuse. If you continue to have a dead short you start melting wires and create smoke, so obviously you do not have a dead short, only the one you created yourself, temporarily I hope. Fuses do not always show, they can burn opened in the base. Run a continuity test on them out of the circuit and replace the bad one, then run your voltage tests. A hot wire and a ground can only be joined together with a resistive load like a light bulb as your bridge if you will
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The wiring diagram showed O/G and W/B to terminals of brake switch, hence I bridged! My mistake, have fixed the voltage issue, redid all the earths,all OK now, and bridging O/G and W wires does activate the brake light. I have not had this bike running- it was crashed when I purchased, so there is bound to be some issues! (see my thread, Budget GS1000s Rebuild-Not!) Thanks for your advise guys.

Comment

Working...
        X