Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasons for sorting the electrics first.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons for sorting the electrics first.

Forgive my ignorance if this has been spoken of before. Is it fair to say that splitting the R/R output into the harness has the effect of reducing the stress on the battery keeping the plates at lower temperatures and reucing water loss?
    I've spent a lot of time rewiring the charging system and chasing down voltage drops on this machine and a lot of issues I was putting down to driveline slack and carburetion have disappeared as the electrical system got better. Even the noise I thought was cam chain guides is gone since the coils got rewired.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 08-28-2014, 06:34 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

yes. .

Comment

Not another rambling reply - sometimes I wish people would just cut straight to the chase.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

A wise man once told me "the vast majority of carburetor problems are due to the electrical system". There's definitely some truth in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          ....................Is it fair to say that splitting the R/R output into the harness has the effect of reducing the stress on the battery keeping the plates at lower temperatures and reucing water loss?................
          I would say biggest effect of the R/R being wired (stock) between the main fuse and ignition switch is less current through the main fuse and connectors.

Even if the R/R was wired right to the battery +, all the bikes current doesn't go through the battery nor from the battery, it would go through the battery terminal connection, the battery would still see pretty much the same as if wired stock.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Not another rambling reply - sometimes I wish people would just cut straight to the chase.

Yes or no question got a yes or no answer...

I'm working on cleaning up all my electrical now. I'm glad to see it will help this much.

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
              Yes or no question got a yes or no answer...

I'm working on cleaning up all my electrical now. I'm glad to see it will help this much.
              I vote NO; you should take a poll.

glad at least your bike to working better.

Comment

Is it fair to say that splitting the R/R output into the harness has the effect of reducing the stress on the battery keeping the plates at lower temperatures and reucing water loss?
                No.
                as I understand it, If the charging system is good, the only stress on the battery is starting the bike and being recharged after doing that. This should not require "keeping the plates at lower temperatures" in any sense I understand, so do tell me how this happens.
                Water loss is some electrolysis , and some evaporation -not boiling by heating.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  No.
                  as I understand it, If the charging system is good, the only stress on the battery is starting the bike and being recharged after doing that. This should not require "keeping the plates at lower temperatures" in any sense I understand, so do tell me how this happens.
                  Water loss is some electrolysis , and some evaporation -not boiling by heating.
                  If there is less stress on the battery it is because it is being properly maintained by the charging system (i.e. not run down and not over charged).

Comment

Working...
                  X