Trouble Shooting an Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Shooting an Ignition Problem

Hey guys I need a little advice on figuring out the ignition problem. I have a 1982 gs650gl and under 1/2 to wot I have a bad stumble right around 5500 rpm almost like it misses like hitting a rev limiter and it doesn't want to go to red line it will but it struggles and sounds like its breaking up. Anything under 5500 rpm runs like a top good power ect. Also at cruising speeds like 55 mph in 5th gear rpm will fluctuate 500 rpm constantly up down up down you cant here it but I can see it on the tac.. I have a volt meter and know how to use it but I have no idea what to test for. I have read the ignightor is bad at going out on these bikes.

Any help would be great
    Thanks,
    Taylor

I have seen low voltage to the coils act that way. With key/kill switch on what is the voltage from from battery (+) to coil (+)? If too much it can give problems due to dirty connects causing low voltage and weak spark.

Also just check the Coil (+) relative to ground. I have seen 10.5V cause problems starting.

Get contact cleanser, clean fuse box, and ignition switch and connectors to ignition /kill switches. Or do ignition relay mod.

Comment

Sounds more like a jetting issue than an electrical gremlin.
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
        Sounds more like a jetting issue than an electrical gremlin.
        I assume you mean carburetion (e.g. clogged carbs/jets); No mention of any mods so why would jetting suddenly be off?

Comment

"....Also at cruising speeds like 55 mph in 5th gear rpm will fluctuate 500 rpm constantly up down up down you cant here it but I can see "

You sure rpm is really changing this much? This would be an unpleasant sensation! Maybe the tach/drive cable is screwed up.
          Have you done the Quick Test stuff to rule out any odd charging issues as rpms go up?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X