1982 gs1100g volts drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crpowell67 View Post
    well this really sucks I put the battery in and went to start it and would not start I seen smoke and stopped time to find the short or if anyone has a gs1100g or close I could use a picture of the left side3 by the solenoid to make sure I have wires hooked up right I took all them off when I was checking wires while the battery was charging
    Hum... might the difference between CB14L-A2 and YB14L-A2 battery be which side has the positive and the negative....?

Red Cable from Solenoid to Batt+

Black Cable from back of engine and maybe small black/white wire to Batt-

or you looking for picture for more than the battery connections...?

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Check that the lugs on the cables on top of the solenoid are not touching the battery box or solenoid backing plate. It's easy to let the one on the left ( forward) side rotate into the box as you tighten it up.
      Where exactly was the smoke coming from? Check that the post on the starter motor is at two o'clock. I've seen motors reassembled with the post at twelve , shorting out to the cover plate. Take off the cover on the starter motor and check that the power cable hasn't worn insulation any where on it's run down from the solenoid.
      Afaik the position of the pos and neg terminals is the same for CB14 and YB14. Neg forward left. Pos rear left.

PS Should have asked do you get lights and oil warnings with ign on , does it make any attempt to crank, does the solenoid click with the start button and is the smoke before or after the start button is pressed.
      Last edited by Brendan W; 09-06-2014, 06:48 AM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Hum... might the difference between CB14L-A2 and YB14L-A2 battery be which side has the positive and the negative....?

Red Cable from Solenoid to Batt+

Black Cable from back of engine and maybe small black/white wire to Batt-

or you looking for picture for more than the battery connections...?

The battery terminals are positive on right what I have on solenoid is red wire from battery and fuse box on same post ( not sure if that is right) and the ground from battery to other post.

Comment

Here is some pics that might help the one with writing in it used to be a black with white stripe wire all i had was different wires to try and piece it together

DSC_0822.jpg

guess i can only put one photo per post

Comment

DSC_0824.jpg hope it is okay to post multiple but i think it might help in finding problem

Comment

heres the wire that was melted at other end was melted to hence the tape

DSC_0823.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36231[/ATTACH] hope it is okay to post multiple but i think it might help in finding problem

This is a classic "How NOT to do your grounding"

Comment

heres the wire that was melted at other end was melted to hence the tape

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36232[/ATTACH]
                  Why grounding is important; "Do you have a single point ground yet?"

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    No that is where everything was since I got it used to run great till this

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      the wire in my hand was hooked to solenoid where the ground wire was hooked I just didnt put it back on while i was searching for open areas

Comment

I had this issue when i first got my 82 1100g. Turned out that the regulator/rectifier was bad. I did a little research and called a buddy of mine, who just happened to be an awesome electrician with over 20 old jap bikes, and he came over with a mm and poked around for about 10 minutes and told me it was no good. I had the same thinking you did. Tried to charge and wouldn't take it. Got the new battery and smoked out the wiring at the solenoid, fun to redo. I did order the battery dry and just had a local bike shop fill with acid and charge it up. But with my bike it turned out to be the regulator/rectifier.

Comment

Originally posted by adam View Post
                          I had this issue when i first got my 82 1100g. Turned out that the regulator/rectifier was bad. I did a little research and called a buddy of mine, who just happened to be an awesome electrician with over 20 old jap bikes, and he came over with a mm and poked around for about 10 minutes and told me it was no good. I had the same thinking you did. Tried to charge and wouldn't take it. Got the new battery and smoked out the wiring at the solenoid, fun to redo. I did order the battery dry and just had a local bike shop fill with acid and charge it up. But with my bike it turned out to be the regulator/rectifier.
                          I will give that a check tomorrow I just watched a video on how to check the r/r. Any chance you can take pic of your solenoid so I can see how many wires go to it and which post

Comment

will do tomorrow afternoon got church in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by adam View Post
                              will do tomorrow afternoon got church in the morning
                              sorry cannot do camera just went down but your pic looks exactly like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                                Just been looking at pics of a badly burned 'busa. Batteries blew up. Checking around the web I might be rethinking my have a go approach when you see the injuries and damage. They can't all have been one in a million.
                                Just wondering about those "blown batteries".

What percentage of them might have been lithium packs, installed in an effort to shed a few pounds?

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X