1982 gs1100g volts drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Just wondering about those "blown batteries".

What percentage of them might have been lithium packs, installed in an effort to shed a few pounds?

The 'busa was Lithium. Lots of others were plain old lead acid. Common thread seems to be completely discharged and low electrolyte levels. Implication is lots of gas and a spark internally.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks. I was wondering because lithium batteries require a different charging curve for optimum charging. The rather primitive systems on our bikes simply don't provide that. Yeah, they will work for a while and appear to do well, but they could do SO much better if they were charged properly.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The particular 'busa was or is the worlds fastest. The owners comments were that ' apparently we didn't read the instructions for wiring it up' or similar. As such it's a bit of a one off. More worrying are the explosions in the course normal daily use or abuse. Search images of battery explosion but be prepared for some horrific injuries to reasonably competent people who weren't messing about.... or didn't think they were at the time.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Well I did a test on R/R if i did it right it is saying it is bad what i did is as follows ( MM=Multimeter )

MM on diode mode hooked red MM lead to positive wire from R/R RESULTS WIRE 1= 0 WIRE 2= 19 WIRE 3 = 15
          MM on diode mode hooked black MM lead to positive wire from R/R RESULTS WIRE 1 = 17 WIRE 2 = 18 WIRE 3 = 14
          MM on diode mode hooked red MM lead to ground from R/R = all 3 wires resulted in 0 ...same when switched to black MM lead

don't know if i did it right or if how i explained it makes sense or not

Originally posted by crpowell67 View Post
          I will give that a check tomorrow I just watched a video on how to check the r/r. Any chance you can take pic of your solenoid so I can see how many wires go to it and which post

Comment

Originally posted by crpowell67 View Post
            heres the wire that was melted at other end was melted to hence the tape

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36232[/ATTACH]
            Bike harness ground wire to the battery box, Melted at both ends (other end at bike frame, top of frame near battery), that is what happens when R/R fails in a certain way, dumps lots lots of current down its ground wire to the battery box (battery box not well grounded to frame), and then this wire that grounds the battery box ends up carrinying that current to the frame ground. And can then also melt other adjacent wires in the harness.

This is why I say to add your own ground wire from that point on the battery box (solenoid mount bolt) to frame groaund or batt- . There are other reasons too.

Any update in month since last post....?

Last edited by Redman; 10-18-2014, 11:02 AM. Reason: spulling
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
            X