Electric Ground out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Ground out

Hey everyone. I took the advise from my previous post and started doing little adjustments to make the bike personally mine, clubman bars, clutch lever, throttle sleeve, grips, and gauges. I was really proud of myself, after wiring everything up and soldering the joints. After all said and done she ran and handled like a dream. Took her up to Mt. Wilson and looked over the city of LA. Man was it beautiful...the bike that is.
    So as I was riding to work this morning, my gauges started blinking and the bike started to sputter. At first I thought my kill switch started to fail, then she quit on me and lost all electric. I found the culprit wire, the power for the turn signal, not the indicators from the gauge, that hit my exhaust and what I believe grounded out the system.
    Im at work so I haven't had a chance to give it a once over. So I guess I'm just asking for a premptive eye from you guys to be able to better spot the problem. I know Im in for an upsetting night, but I'm wishing and hoping its just a blown fuse. Thanks ahead for any advise you guys have for me.

View from the Top of Mt Wilsons. On a smoggy day. Hopefully take a night ride soon.
    Attached Files

You're in a better position to spot the problem than we are...

Check all the fuses... if in doubt, swap 'em out. If you've isolated the likely wire, wrap it up in electrical tape as a temporary fix and then swap it out for new wire asap. (And zip tie it up good this time!) How did the turn signal wire dangle all the way down to the exhaust?
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Nice photo.

ew, those bars would be way too low for me for any further than 10-15 miles.

If that was a t/signal wire that melted on exhaust, you could pull the Signal fuse, replace the Main fuse and go. (check to see if have tail and brake light.)

or get that melted wire away from the ground, replace the signal or whatever fuse.

Assuming you still have the stock wiring and multi fuse fuse box.

Last edited by Redman; 09-04-2014, 09:50 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Thanks for the heads up guys. I havent been able to check it out yet due to work and then bike being towed to my girlfriends house. Ill bee taking a look at it hopefully today or tomorrow morning.

Comment

Working...
        X