Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will our charging systems support grip heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will our charging systems support grip heaters?

Bike is still stock, and as of yet (15,000 miles), charging system is healthy. I want to get her some grip heaters for the fall season, but need to be mindful of taking care of the bike.

you can typically add 3-4 amps once you are at 3K RPM and above.
    In the range of 50 watts.

Comment

Ive used them for several years now. Per Posplayrs note, I dont know the specs of them though. Ill see if I can find the paperwork.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've seen heated grips that fall well within that range.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Just make sure you wire them up to a SWITCHED circuit.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I use heated grips on both of my bikes, 77- 750, 79- 1000. No problems at all, use a relay to save your battery when ignition is off. I have oxford and R+G makes, I prefer the R+G better.
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Yep, I've got heated grips on all my bikes. There are slight variations, but they generally draw only 36 watts (3 amps) or less -- no problem for a healthy GS charging system.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Late entry here. I got a set from Aerostitch. Not too classy, they wrap around the outside of the grips & hold with velcro. Good news, they only draw 22 watts. I use a set of old Vetter Hippo Hands on my 81 GS 850 G & I have to keep turning them off as they get too hot! I also wear an Aerostitch Kanatsu heated vest under my Darien jacket when it's cold. That pulls 45 watts. Never turn that off.
                  I have upped my charging system with the Electro....(?) stator so I get a bit more juice in the system. Anyway except at idle, the charging indicator stays in the green. I do feel I'm at the edge of what I can run. I have put LED lights wherever I can to reduce current draw.

For what it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                  X