anatomy of a plug boot? 81 GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anatomy of a plug boot? 81 GS1000G

having some trouble with the spark on my 81 GS1000G. Decided to have a look inside a plug boot. Unscrewed the clip unit that goes on plug #4 and the guts of the boot spilled out before I could tell what the proper order is. Decided to look at boot for #3 cylinder as an example, but the same thing happened. turns out the guts for the two boots are not even the same anyway. Long story short is that I need someone to help me unscramble the parts so I can put them back together. Can anybody help this loser? I took a picture of the pieces, but couldn't seem to get it on this forum so that it could actually be seen. Please have a look on photobucket if you are interested in helping.

The picture shows letters. I need to know its order for reassembly. It's like the matching assignments you used to get in elementary school. Does part "a" go first, second etc. Does "b" go first second etc. You get the idea.

Thanks!

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag206/vonReckless/GS1000G/76413ad9-5d57-4757-b7a7-3a809e626bbb_zpsac8c3fc2.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2014, 01:15 AM.

Let's try this...
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Well I was going to be a Smarty Marty and take a couple of my old caps apart, but I may have thrown them out. This could be a good excuse to pick up a set of NGK caps.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Both look correct to me. 1 and 4 dont have the A part because it isnt required due to the boot being shorter than 2 and 3. The resistors ( ceramic things) are a common problem..they get weak or just plain old quit. replace them with some solid brass or copper rods cut to length and be done with them.

The cupped side of the helmet looking deal goes toward the resistor..resistor settles into it and is held on center by being in the dip.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Personally, I'd buy new caps. They are cheap, and yours are likely at least 15-20 years old, if they're not the originals.

Comment

Man, you folks are fast! And solid advice. I'll hit the autoparts store for some new plugs and save myself the grief (I'm sure these boots are original).

Comment

Autoparts store may have plugs.

But you need new boots.
              1&4 are same ands 2&3 are same, only difference is length and angle.
              Are about 4-5 bucks each.
              Can get NKGs at about any cycle shop, not need to be a Suzuki dealer.
              I doint know wabout 1000, but on 1100G they are XB05F & VB05F.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Autoparts store may have plugs.

But you need new boots.
                1&4 are same ands 2&3 are same, only difference is length and angle.
                Are about 4-5 bucks each.
                Can get NKGs at about any cycle shop, not need to be a Suzuki dealer.
                I doint know wabout 1000, but on 1100G they are XB05F & VB05F.
                Sorry. I miscommunicated. I didn't mean I'd get plugs (they are already new). I meant boots (or caps).

Comment

Originally posted by von reckless View Post
                  .... ... .... I meant boots (or caps).
                  And I am saying that not likely to find the caps at autoparts store. Least not NKG meant for mo'cycles.

Oh, and my complements on your fine photo/sketch of the pieces parts.

/
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    And I am saying that not likely to find the caps at autoparts store. Least not NKG meant for mo'cycles.

Oh, and my complements on your fine photo/sketch of the pieces parts.
                    /
                    You are absolutely right about the auto parts place. No boots. I'll hit the bike shop tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X