No announcement yet.

Will a bad Stator not allow 82' GS550 to idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, now we are getting some useful information.
    Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
    I have had the bike for a few months. I have replaced the head and base gasket.
    With this information, I would suggest that you go back and verify cam timing.

Cleaned the carbs all jets and orifices are clean, and sealed the air box.
    HOW did you "clean the carbs"? Did you do a full "strip and dip" cleaning and replace all the o-rings or did you just spray some cleaner around for a bit?

Where can I get new clamps for my carbs?
    You probably don't need clamps, you need new boots to put inside those clamps.

We can not stress enough how important it is to have properly-timed valves with proper clearances, clean carbs with fresh o-rings and clean electrical connections for these bikes to run properly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Clamps on airbox side......
      Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I did a full strip and dip on the carbs. new o-rings and new pilots since I destroyed them removing them. Oh also new fuel screws because I destroyed those too.

Cam timing is spot on. well the 1 arrow is slightly above the gasket surface.

Yesterday I did notice one clamp what buckled a bit and was not sealing correctly after I fixed that the bike idled better, and guess what that is the one cylinder that isn't lean.

Comment

I just went and sprayed carb clean around the air box boots and the rpms went up so the boots are not sealing well. I guess ill pull the carbs again after supper and see what I can do.

Comment

I checked my carb sync thinking that maybe that was my cause but the carbs are synced perfect. so im back to square 1. Ill get the bike warmed up then ill try and set the mixture screws as best as I can and see what comes out of it, at least maybe ill get a better idle.

But if I rev the bike the rpms hang quite a bit like I have a air leak. would a air box or air box boots that are not sealing well cause this or is this somthing that only happens with a air leak after the carbs?

Comment

... would a air box or air box boots that are not sealing well cause this or is this somthing that only happens with a air leak after the carbs?
              Sounds like either an air leak after the carbs (o-rings on the intake boots are prime suspects) or your mixture screws are set too lean.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The bike starts up easily when cold but after it gets hot it will stall at idle and not restart no matter what I do. If I let it sit for a few minutes it starts right up.

I felt the coils and one seems to be getting hotter then the other but I have spark even when it doesn't start.

I took the carbs back out and cleaned them today all the jets and passages are clean.

When I start the bike it has no throttle response but if I put my hand over the intake it revs nicely.

Comment

Working...
                X