After lots of repair, (seemingly) no spark or starter functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giganticflying View Post
    .................................................. ................................ Also, I got the electric start to work (didn't know I had Hopefully someone can chime in with some advice to speed up this process, ...
    Maybe the clutch interlock switch (if a 79 850 has that, I know they did 80 and after). Those can be intermittent, can try wiggling the clutch lever when pulled in. CAn adjust it by loosing mounting screws and moving back and forth.

If kill switch was the problem, that would effect the starter and the ignition both. Are both on same circuit that is switched by the kill switch. Clutch switch would effect the starter only.

Last edited by Redman; 09-10-2014, 07:16 PM. Reason: spulling
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I figured out it's not that. I just didn't realize I had to hold in the clutch while pressing the button. Works just fine and kill switch engages properly.

Comment

You only have to hold the clutch in if the trans isn't in neutral.

Comment

Oh, the manual said to hold the clutch in to use the start button.

Comment

Oh, the manual said to hold the clutch in to use the start button.
            The manual would be correct. Stock suzuki safety interlock works that way. My guess is 81GS850 has forgotten so many bypass the clutch switch interlock.

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
              You only have to hold the clutch in if the trans isn't in neutral.
              Nope, the Suzuki system wasn't that smart. You have to hold the clutch regardless of gear selection.

Unless you bypass the switch, of course, like many (most?) of us have done.

It's still a good idea to pull the clutch, but it won't be mandatory.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                The manual would be correct. Stock suzuki safety interlock works that way. My guess is 81GS850 has forgotten so many bypass the clutch switch interlock.
                Sorry, never been on a bike this old and being the bike is this old I'm sure the PO bypassed it at some point... My bad guys!

Comment

What are the benefits of bypassing the switch?

Comment

Benefits: It frees up your left hand, which can be important under certain situations.
                    Dangers: You had better be certain you are in neutral when you press the button.

Comment

Ok, made some progress! I was able to visually check for spark and they are all firing. With a little starting fluid (3/4 of a can) and some finagling I was able to get it to idle. But when I apply any throttle it kills the engine. I ran out of time today, but should I just need around with the fuel screws on the outside of the carbs? I'll make a post in the proper forum if needed.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

It idles at around 1500 to 2000 with the choke off.

Comment

Throw that starter fluid away, there is enough ether in 3/4 of a can to completely wash any oil off the cylinder walls and rings and start scoring the cylinders. If the carburetors are cleaned properly, no vacuum leaks O-rings and boots replaced, spark, compression, valves and timing adjusted properly it starts without that trash you think is magic in a can.
                          Last edited by OldVet66; 09-12-2014, 09:58 PM.
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                            Throw that starter fluid away, there is enough ether in 3/4 of a can to completely wash any oil off the cylinder walls and rings and start scoring the cylinders. If the carburetors are cleaned properly, no vacuum leaks O-rings and boots replaced, spark, compression, valves and timing adjusted properly it starts without that trash you think is magic in a can.
                            Hey ether is all I run in my bikes

Seriously though, did not know about the washing of cylinders. But I would imagine you'd have to POUR ether down the cylinders. I'm saying just use it as a temporary source to diagnose if it's ignition or lack of fuel causing the no start.

Comment

Disabling clutch switch:
                              Benefit:
                              . can start bike with one hand.
                              . elimitate possible problem of the swtich causing you a problem

Determent:
                              if forget to have in netural the bike can learch forward and you probably only have one hand on bars, your reaction will be to hold on with that one hand which could turn the bars, so are likely to fall over. And that is just with the bike learching while starter cranking, also think about if engine actually started, although not likely.

I have had problem with clutch swtich. Would have to hold cultch and press the starter button and would hear nothing but me muttering about not having kickstarter, then wiggle the clutch lever and it would start. Adjust the swtich and better for a while, and then starts happeing again. SO replaced the swtich, are available, about $20.

...... But when I apply any throttle it kills the engine. .......
                              Runs only with choke on...? and dies when open throttle : carbs need cleaning.

Runs barley after warms up and can turn choke off slowly and dies when open throttle : carbs need cleaning.
                              Last edited by Redman; 09-13-2014, 11:10 AM. Reason: spellung
                              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

The carbs just recently went through a full tear down, dip, and o-ring/gallery replacement. That was the first thing I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X