Looking for help with stator sizes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for help with stator sizes.

As many of you know by now, I am trying to build up a small service that offers re-wound stators for our bikes at a decent price.
    What I need some help with is building an interchange list for what each bike needs.

There are several different part numbers listed in the various fiche, but I think some of that is due to different wire lengths or different connectors.

So far, I know of three distinct stators for our bikes:
    1. A smaller, 12-pole unit that is 93mm in diameter, and I am presuming about 27mm thick, with a 35mm inner hole.
    2. A smaller, 18-pole unit that is 93mm in diameter and 27mm thick, with a 35mm inner hole.
    3. A larger, 18-pole unit that is 104mm in diameter and 22mm thick, with a 38mm inner hole.

I know that some 1100s have different-size tapers on the crank. Do they take the same stator?

What I need is a list of what bikes take what size stator, so, if you have a stator lying around, please measure it, then let me know the measurements and what bike it fits.

Here is what I am looking for:
    A. Outside diameter
    B. Thickness
    C. Inside diameter
    D. Number of poles
    E. Bike year
    F. Bike model

Feel free to respond to this thread, via PM or by e-mail. I will get all the information together so I will be able to get you guys the proper stators.

Currently (pardon the pun), I have in-stock 2 smaller 18-pole units and two larger 18-pole units, if anyone is interested.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Got two smalls,18 pole off a 650 and 450 (unsure of exact year, but early 80's)
    both have 93 mm OD with 35 mm hole. One is 25 mm thick, other is 26 mm thick.
    unit in bike is 27 thick as I recall
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

1981 GSX 400 (Canadian) Model T and E
      18 pole
      dimensions include varnish coat so a tiny bit smaller than these...
      OD 3.65in =92.85mm
      ID 1.37in =34.75mm
      Thickness at Pole Crowns 0.97in =24.65mm

Notes:

3 central mounting holes for bolting to sidecover
      Wire harness length from the "bend-over" clamp on the stator to the rubber three holed sealing plug in the sidecover 10.25 inches
      Wire harness length from the "bend-over" clamp on the stator to the leads that plug into R/R at least 34 inches (2 or 3 inches more is not going to hurt)

Comment

Thanks, gentlemen, info is assimilated and recorded.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

GS1100G
          18 pole
          103.1mm outside diameter
          38mm inside diameter
          27.5mm Thick

I compared my GS1100G stator with one I pulled from my GS1000G and found only one difference. The outside diameter and inside diameter were the same along with the thickness at the center but the thickness at the outer edge was significantly different. Almost looks like wings added. Here they are side by side with the 1100G on the left and the 1000G on the right. It does look like both are either aftermarket or rebuilt units:
          Last edited by JTGS850GL; 10-14-2014, 08:47 AM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The GS850 stators I've had and fitted, have two variations in thickness - one 25mm, the other about 19mm. The thinner one fitted and ran fine, but I'd assume was from a smaller bike originally, and had been rewound with the tails for an 850. I've stuck to the 25mm ones since to avoid problems that might arise. Even though the total loads on the smaller mystery bike will be in the same ballpark, it would give less headroom for accessories, etc.
            Also, as diy , I've fitted what were sold as 450 (or possibly 550) stators (same 25mm thickness) but wrong tails - easy to extend those with some crimps in just the right spot. Luckily I have a few old heatproof cables (immersion heaters) and sleeving to match. Some doughball also sent me a stator with the lead cut right off - again, it tested out, and could be lengthened - but for 99p I wasn't complaining. That's the one in at the moment. It's lasting well, with the SH-775 looking after it.
            All the above were 18 poles.
            Last edited by Grimly; 10-13-2014, 09:03 PM.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Here is what I am looking for:
              A. Outside diameter
              B. Thickness
              C. Inside diameter
              D. Number of poles
              E. Bike year
              F. Bike model
              Stock stator
              82 GS1100GK

A. Outside diameter 103.
              B. Thickness 27 at flange on outer end of pole. 18 at the laminated plates at the ID
              C. Inside diameter 37
              D. Number of poles 18
              E. Bike year 1982
              F. Bike model GS1100GK
              note: has "2 B Y" stamped on plate.

am fairly sure is from 82 GK, 3 or 4 years ago. I
              suppose is chance is from 80 850, 18 or 20 years ago.

>>>>later note.
              after the rubber seal it goes to individual wires... and only about 3 inches .
              ...hum... that sounds more like an 1980

Hey, Steve, Glad I can help. hah har har

Last edited by Redman; 10-15-2014, 10:05 PM. Reason: ..later note

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks, Dave.

That stator is from the 1100, not the 850.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X