Help with brake Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with brake Lights

Hey everyone this is my first time posting to the forum. I am nearing the completion of my first cafe rebuild and i'm having trouble getting my brake lights, neutral, and oil pressure lights working. I have built a custom rear end with aftermarket led lights as my brake/ tail and rear turn signals. I have the tail light and all turn signals working as well as the high beam indicator and the turn signal indicator lights. I removed the gear indicator and fuel gauge from the system. I know all of my problem lights are on the same series and I have power going to all of them. I was hoping for some advise on trouble shooting this problem. Thanks a bunch of course.
    Attached Files

Gonna have to tell us what bike so we can post a link to a wiring diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by sevtovit View Post
      Hey everyone this is my first time posting to the forum. I am nearing the completion of my first cafe rebuild and i'm having trouble getting my brake lights, neutral, and oil pressure lights working. I have built a custom rear end with aftermarket led lights as my brake/ tail and rear turn signals. I have the tail light and all turn signals working as well as the high beam indicator and the turn signal indicator lights. I removed the gear indicator and fuel gauge from the system. I know all of my problem lights are on the same series and I have power going to all of them. I was hoping for some advise on trouble shooting this problem. Thanks a bunch of course.
      If you have power then you just need a ground. Obviously the brake will only get power when the levers are pressed.

Also I hope you don't have all the lights in series as you mention above; should all be in parallel so they each see 12V.

Comment

What model/year was this bike before your handiwork?
        For brake light, check for 12 volt positive at rear brake switch.
        neutral and oil switches are grounding style- they ground out to engine and actuate their respective light which is always fed 12 volt positive with ignition "on".
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I will continue with the theme here: we can't help you until you help us.

What bike are we talking about???

The only clues that I can get from your picture are that it's green, a four-cylinder, 1980 or newer, has a rear light that will not pass a DOT inspection and is probably a chain-drive (unless somebody has installed the axle backwards).

Is that tire a Kenda Challenger or a Shinko 712? For your sake, I hope it's a Shinko.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm hoping this is standard in Suzukis as to colours ...The neutral and oil pressure lights require + power from an orange wire, which is + only when the key is on. The connections you may be making them to ( is it blue wire and grey/yellow-well, check your schematic... back in the harness under the tank some bullet connectors anyways) are actually leads to ground through the neutral switch and the oil pressure sensor.
            In the original, I think they were getting + power from the orange wire dangling out of the gear selector harness.
            Must be synchronicity here as I've been fiddling with my gauges too!

Comment

Ahh yes my apologies. The bike was originally an 1982 GS650-GZ (G indicates the drive shaft I do believe.) Most everything has been returned to factory specifications. The state I live in does not require inspection for historic tags on motorcycles (twenty years old or more).

Comment

A 650 shafty! Go here and get color wiring diagram- click thru

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X