Solid State Aux Box: Market Research Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid State Aux Box: Market Research Poll

Don't for get to vote in the complementary SSPB II poll.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-Research-Poll

UPDATE: To be more clear about the physical form factor I added the picture above. The screw terminals on this version are fully enclosed inside the case and under cover. The wires enter through a rubber grommet in the side of the case. The ends can then be stripped and tinned to insert into the required connection. wires. The second picture down below is more functional so you see what is going in and what is coming out of the SSAB.

A quick spray of contact cleaner across the wire holders and you are good to go. Update the protection every 2-3 years and there should be no problem with corrosion. Also since it is all inside of the case you don't get any over spray on other things.

All the critical charging connections are soldered.

This is a Market research Poll for a product that is similar to the Solid State Power Box I already designed.

As many of you know last year I decided to try my hand a making a commercial product which became know as the Solid State Power Box. It is a solid state power distribution module that replaces a stock GS fuse box and adds a bit of logic to incorporate the equivalent of Ignition , headlamp and accessory relay functions. It is designed and produced to a high standard of reliability and robustness as anyone would expect and want for a replacement to something as critical as your fuse box.

There is another product currently on the market which is very similar. It retails for $199 and has a computer USB interface to customize the current settings for each of 6 channels. It has more LED indicator lights as well.

The PDM60 provides 6 individual circuits, with a total load handling capability of 60 Amps. The unit is designed to connect directly to a primary (12V…

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This type of device is really needed on modern motorcycles with CAN bus because those bikes can show an error if there is an extra load put on the bike that is being sensed through the standard electronics. These power distribution systems work in parallel off the battery so the CAN bus never sees them. The power distribution does not need to be solid state, but if you are going to throw a fuse box onto a $10K dual sport then what is an extra couple of hundred bucks.

Besides this flexibility PDM60, there are a couple of notable limitation/disadvantages of the design.
    • one is you need a computer interface. Alot of people do not mind this, but others just want to plug and play and not have to program or communicate with a fuse box.
    • If you trip a current level, you have to cycle the power on the device to get the power to come back on. The SSPB technology does not work this way. The circuitry operates extremely fast to stop current flow when there is a short and it simply restores current flow once the short goes away. There is no need to reset the fuse box.
    • The current draw on the PD60 is about 50 mAmps So this is not something that you can leave plugged in for long periods of time (maximum 1-2 weeks without drawing down your battery). The current draw of the SSAB is 1/20 of that at approximately 2.5 mA.

The SSAB does not have programmable limits, but it doesn't generally need them. You can repeatedly short the output of the SSPB/AB and the device self limits and restore itself automatically subject to a maximum 10 amp limit. From what I have seen if you ever exceed the 10 amp limit the SSPB will limit cycle only allowing an average of about 1/4 of the maximum.

So at the moment I'm looking at two new designs. One is a cheaper generic version of the fuse box replacement called Solid State Power Box II. It is basically the same as the original SSPB it just has 4 instead of the previous 5 channels and uses screw terminals instead of the 10 pin Molex. This poll is for the Solid State Aux Box which is not a fuse box replacement but is a device to serve another market for power distributions functions. The SSPB II and the SSAB are very similar but still distinctly different products. The SSAB does not have a fail safe ignition circuit as it does not need one. and teh SSAB only interfaces with teh battery terminals whereas the SSPB and SSPB II connect to the R/R as well.

The SSAuxBox is a 2"x3"x1" device (excluding the mounting flange) which compares to about 1.8"x3.8"x1.5" for the original SSPB.

So please vote in the poll and provide any comments on the SSAuxBox you would like to make. Please reserve any comments on the Solid State Power Box II for that thread.

I would never consider buying anything like this.
    0.00%
    I might buy one if they were under $100.
    30.00%
    I would buy one if they were $100-$120.
    30.00%
    I would buy one if they wer $120-$130.
    10.00%
    I woudl buy one if they were $130-$150
    10.00%
    I want the PDM-60 ; cost is no object.
    20.00%
    Last edited by posplayr; 04-26-2015, 05:52 PM.

seems like another great product for you, and i would buy one being that i will be turning my CB into a Bagger, i plan on adding a radio, a usb terminal to charge my cell phone, and i also thought about some kind of RFID Keyless system so all i have to do is have a key card in my wallet, hop on the bike, pull out the choke and push the start/stop button, and drive away! LOL

Comment

Could one theoretically run both SSPB2 and SSAB to essentially regain the lost AUX channel on SSPB2 or would you be approaching the limits of the stator output? For me personally as of now no AUX channel on SSPB2 would be ok but I'm looking at possibly getting a GK in the future where I would want the advantages of both systems. Prerequisite of course would be adding the SH775 reg as well as the Electrosport stator for the added output it provides.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
        Could one theoretically run both SSPB2 and SSAB to essentially regain the lost AUX channel on SSPB2 or would you be approaching the limits of the stator output? For me personally as of now no AUX channel on SSPB2 would be ok but I'm looking at possibly getting a GK in the future where I would want the advantages of both systems. Prerequisite of course would be adding the SH775 reg as well as the Electrosport stator for the added output it provides.
        Yes they (SSPB II and SSAB) are really independent of each other. There is a limit to what you can add in terms of electrical load due to the charging system. Figure at most adding an additional 5 amp load at 4K RPM. If you convert to LED signals then you might be able to add another 5 amps total. An LED headlamp could also add to the available power you might have.

When you look at the PDM-60 being advertised as having 60 amp capacity, there is really no way you will even be able to approach that level. The battery would drain so fast and the charging system seldom has that much reserve especially systems designed with Shunt R/R's that were dumping the excess in heating the stator.

There is also no reason to create a separate power distribution output for a USB device with 0.5 amp load. The PDM-60 has 6 outputs but they still all operate off of a single ignition key input. They do have a timing function for delayed start up which avoids adding extra wires.

In the SSPB I used the start button signal (that which activated the starter) as a headlamp cutout. Based on various recommendations, I'm tentatively looking here at using a stator wire as a run indication that would only power those selected circuits when the engine is running. So headlamps, driving lamps and heater gloves/jackets would all go off when the engine is not running.

The circuitry is probably more reliable, the only difference is running a potentially high voltage AC stator wire to the SSPBII/SSAB. I certainly think this is an improvement as far as functionality of the SSAB over the PDM-60.

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS850L View Post
          seems like another great product for you, and i would buy one being that i will be turning my CB into a Bagger, i plan on adding a radio, a usb terminal to charge my cell phone, and i also thought about some kind of RFID Keyless system so all i have to do is have a key card in my wallet, hop on the bike, pull out the choke and push the start/stop button, and drive away! LOL
          I could see adding as many as 3 power outlets for:
          UNSWITCHED e.g. iphone/trickle charger type accessory (things that need to get power or provide power when the bike is off)
          IGN KEY SWITCHED e.g. GPS, radar detector (things that only need to be on when the key is on)
          RUN activated e,g heater/driving lights (things that draw so much power you only want them on when the engine is running).

That is three channels and the SSAB would have 4 capable of 10 amps each which is way more than you can actually draw without pulling the battery way down.

Reiterating, the SSAB would run directly off the battery where as the SSPB /SSPB II would be connected between the battery R/R. The two are effectively independent.

Comment

I added a clarification on the screw terminals and how the wires attach in the first post.

Comment

Bump ........

Comment

Working...
              X