recked rectifier???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recked rectifier???

I have an 82 gs 850g. When I got it it had a charging problem so I got a used rectifier and when I hook the new one up to blows the main fuse as soon as you hook up power I'm sure it is junk and everything works and it runs great with the old one accept it doesn't charge so my ? is what do I need to do to get it to charge???

_20140923_202245.jpgthis is the monster here

Comment

The current favorite to handle your current (sorry, I just had to do that) is the R/R from Polaris. If you do a search using "Polaris" as your criteria, you will see plenty of posts. If you do a search for "Polaris" with me as an author, you will even see a list of vendors and the prices at the time of the post.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do you think it is just the rectifier or could it be the stator and what about replacement rectifiers made for the gs???

Comment

Originally posted by cafe racer View Post
          what about replacement rectifiers made for the gs???
          The R/R's that are OEM replacement are the same shunt type that cooks the stator and are built to the same sketchy quality levels as the original Suzuki R/R. If you want to fix your charging system for good pick up the Polaris R/R and install it. Better yet, install it and get one of posplayr's new solid state power boxes to replace the crappy fusebox at the same time.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

If you're sure you've hooked the R/R up right and the fuse blows when you turn the key, then the only explanation is that the new R/R is junk.

Do what Steve says and get a Polaris R/R and have worry-free charging forever.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The current favorite to handle your current (sorry, I just had to do that) is the R/R from Polaris. If you do a search using "Polaris" as your criteria, you will see plenty of posts. If you do a search for "Polaris" with me as an author, you will even see a list of vendors and the prices at the time of the post.

When I use your name.... This is what I get

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
              sigpic
              Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
                When I use your name.... This is what I get

[/COLOR]
                I never have much luck with searches this way (and too impatient to pursue why), but here's a Steve link to an old post regarding Polaris part #4012941

If you got local Polaris dealer, try to negotiate, he might discount his list price to make sale.
                Last edited by tom203; 09-24-2014, 04:14 PM. Reason: Age related
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  but here's a old Steve link
                  Old Steve.... I think he prefers Seasoned....
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic
                  1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                    Old Steve.... I think he prefers Seasoned....
                    Well-seasoned, if you please, and I continue to work on the "old" part, day by day.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Hey, at 6 am, typos come with no extra charge!
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

35A 3PH Series Regulator 105C Polaris part number 4012941. Manufactured by Shindengen SH-775
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Well-seasoned, if you please, and I continue to work on the "old" part, day by day.

Isn't that "old fart"
                          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

So what do you guys recommend for a stator???

Comment

I have one for you that is freshly-rewound. Shipped to your door for $85.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X