Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need stator , sh775, and harness for 1981 GS850G

Guys.

Just finished rebuilding and synching carbs on my new 1981 GS850.... Now have to do charging system...

Need recommendation...did lots of reading. Got many different answers....not sure I understand best approach but seemed to be good tech reasons for using sh775...so, I would appreciate someone very familiar w topic to provide quick response here?

which stator is best ?
    where to buy sh775 RR?
    Where to buy RR harness?
    how to wire?

Thank you very much...

Gary

Get a stator from Steve here on the board. $85 shipped. as for the r/r find the cheapest. I think I found the cheapest on bike bandit. You can search for an 08 yamaha vstar 1300 for the correct sh-775. wire the stator directly to the r/r and then the pos output from the r/r into the stock harness. find a post by posplayr and look at his info in his sig.

Comment

Try searching for posts on good places to buy the SH775. I found a new take-off on eBay from a Polaris RZR800, part# 4012941.

The Triumph connector is perfect if you have the space for it. The part number is T2500676. This isn't essential since you can use regular female spades and fill in the space with a certain sealant.

Total for both should be around $90.
      Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
        Get a stator from Steve here on the board. $85 shipped.
        That would be me.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just bought an Electrosport stator and SH775 from www.Motosport.com last month. Stator is probably going back but R/R seems good. Shipping was fast and free (over $99). R/R was $71.27 at the time.

Had a buddy of mine pick up a Triumph link for me when he was at the dealer. Link ended up being too bulky to fit in the only space I could find so I went the female spades directly to R/R route.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Appreciate the good input guys...thank you so much. I am really anxious to get this gorgeous example back on the road. I took it for a brief spin last night and it runs like new...but I have work to do to make it reliable and safe. It has 2,300 miles on it and is in virtually perfect shape. Didnt run when I got it but seems to have been solely carb related and my rebuild made it run like new. Doing charging System, fluids and brakes now. All the mix screws were screwed up (had oring, spring, washer on them...from top of needle to bottom) and one of them had two springs in the same hole!

Comment

Oh..BTW, I did find the SH775 and Various Harnesses, including the simple female connector route, available on ROADSTERCYCLE.COM ...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary_t200 View Post
                Oh..BTW, I did find the SH775 and Various Harnesses, including the simple female connector route, available on ROADSTERCYCLE.COM ...
                That guy's great. He answers emails and shipps right away. He knows you're in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary_t200 View Post
                  Originally posted by rwnielsen View Post
                  That guy's great. He answers emails and shipps right away. He knows you're in a hurry.
                  Quite possibly correct, but he is also EXPENSIVE. Best deal I saw while browsing his site was $114 for the SH775 and the Triumph harness (shipped).

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

1981 GS850G.
                    Ok. I completed the install of the new stator (electrosport) and new sh775 (sh-775) regulator rectifier. I had read some people saying there was no room for the sh775 and the big clunky sealed connectors. But there was plenty of room....here's how.

First. Remove battery and battery box. On the right side of the bike you lift the two black electrical boxes straight up off their metal tabs and let them hang. On the left side of the bike there is only one screw holding the battery box metal side plate on to the battery box frame. Look inside the battery box and you will see it sticking through. It's near the top and in the center of the left side plate. Unscrew it. It has a grounding ring terminal on it. Don't loose it. And don't forget it.

Undo the front battery box bolt (under back edge of gas tank) and unscrew the two battery box rear bolts. Lift up left side battery side plate until it pulls out of the bottom left side of battery box frame. Now you can leave that hanging and pull out battery box.

But as you pull it up you will have to stop and carefully pull the RR bullet terminals free...unplug them where they plug into the harness and the stator wires. (Just in front of left side plate, behind metal air cleaner side plate).

Now is a good time to reach down through battery box area to clean the engine ground bolt. Just follow down the big black grounding wire that you removed from the negative battery terminal. I unscrewed mine from the engine and cleaned the ring terminal and bolt up...I sanded the terminal. Greased the bolt. And put it back together.

Now take out your battery box, flip it over on a book or something and use an impact screwdriver and carefully break loose the screws holding the RR onto the bottom of the box.

Now. Your SH 775 will easily fit under the battery box. I even used the big sealed harness connector that goes with it. I simply cut a 1" thick board and screwed it to the bottom of battery box...I went to hardware store withe the original screws that had held the RR on and asked them for the same thread but 1" long. Then I cut the block to fit bottom of box, and counter sunk two partial holes about 1/3" deep or so ( for the bolt heads) and drilled through for the bolts. Then I wrapped the board in aluminum metal duct repair tape to keep it dry

Then I screwed the board to the bottom of the box. And then I used two wood screws and screwed the sh775 to the board. You want the sh775 to be placed such that the connectors come out the left side of the bike, under the battery box. And you want the rearmost connector, that's the yellow wire set, to be directly under the battery box metal side plate tab...so basically you want the sh775 to be towards the rear of the bike...not towards the front...so oriented towards rear of battery box, facing to left side of bike. You will see that once the batt box is reinstalled, the connectors are clear and you can easily plug the big sealed connectors into the RR from the left side.

I also bought bullet connectors and made nice shrink wrapped connections everywhere. I even put in a new gel battery.

I am am assuming you know how to do the stator. Again, the impact screwdriver is a must. Both for breaking free the engine side cover and for breaking free the stator screws. Go slow and careful. Don't strip any heads.

Its is perfect now. Charges nice. It took more time then expected but it's fixed and I am happy.

Gary

Comment

Reason I didn't put any of my replacement RRs under there was the propensity of the original to get clogged up with road muck, out of sight and out of mind.
                      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I thought I needed new stator and R/R stuff, until I cleaned all my connections, added grounds, and ran the stator wires straight to the R/R. Maybe later, but It's all good now.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                          I .....Maybe later, but It's all good now.
                          That's what I thought too, but then my original stator went, then my original r/r went, then my next stator went, so I decided to try a SH-775 and stop wondering!
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                          X