1980 v/s 1983 ignition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 v/s 1983 ignition?

Doing some preliminary investigation on my engine transplant project. Replacing my 1980 GS1000G engine with a 1983 GS1100G engine.

The original plan was to replace the engine and transfer the ignition pickups from the 1000G (two wire pickup) to the 1100G (4 wire pickup) motor. After some further thought it came to me that maybe Suzuki did a better job with the ignition on the later model then the earlier one. As I understand it, the later model engine came with the advance curve programmed into the control unit as apposed to weighted rotating springs.

So here's my question... Is there any advantage with going with the newer pickups and replacing the ignition module or should I just stick to the original plan and just transfer the 1000G pickup assembly in the 1100G?

Exactly what needs to be transferred on to the 1100G motor if I continue to use the 1000G ignition module? Assuming that the rotor has to change as well as the advance plate?

If this is the case then I my rethink my options and lean toward keeping the 1100G motor intact and just replacing the ignition control module.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Julius

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

The '83 engine does not have a mechanical advance unit like the '80 does. The advance function is built in to the ignitor unit.

If you keep the '80 electrics and go with the 1100 engine, you will have to install the advance unit (if that is possible) from the 1000. The pickups and ignitor for the 1000 should work, but I can't guarantee that, I have not done it.

I have no idea if the advance curve built in to the ignitor on the '83 unit is close to the mechanical advance curve on the '80, but probably isn't too far off.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am currently putting an 1982 1100G motor in a 1980 1000G frame. Looking at the wiring diagrams it looked like you could use the 4 wire pick up and ignitor as the wires coming out of it are the same colors going to the coils. Unfortunately I have lights and turn signals but no starter. So either it can't just slip in or I made another mistake somewhere. I would expect that the starter should run whether the ignition was correct or not. Is that a correct assumption?

Comment

Originally posted by gsinister View Post
        I am currently putting an 1982 1100G motor in a 1980 1000G frame. Looking at the wiring diagrams it looked like you could use the 4 wire pick up and ignitor as the wires coming out of it are the same colors going to the coils. Unfortunately I have lights and turn signals but no starter. So either it can't just slip in or I made another mistake somewhere. I would expect that the starter should run whether the ignition was correct or not. Is that a correct assumption?
        if you are swapping the engine into an 80 model just use the advancer and signal generator from the 80 engine onto the 1100 engine.
        the engine will not care and the parts are a bolt on.
        advance will be fine and you won't have to worry about a several hundred dollar electronic advance ignitor going bad.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          if you are swapping the engine into an 80 model just use the advancer and signal generator from the 80 engine onto the 1100 engine.
          the engine will not care and the parts are a bolt on.
          advance will be fine and you won't have to worry about a several hundred dollar electronic advance ignitor going bad.
          And with the mechanical advance, for under 150 bucks you can upgrade to a simple Dyna S and sleep better anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
            And with the mechanical advance, for under 150 bucks you can upgrade to a simple Dyna S and sleep better anyway.
            HUH?
            the factory mechanical advance ignitions are fine and the dynaS add's nothing but adjustable timing....nothing.......

Comment

Thanks for the info folks. Looks like the swap over will probably go with the 1000G mechanical advance and stock ignition. Might still go the other direction if someone wants to trade a working 2 wire igniter and advance for a working 4 wire igniter. I have the extra ignition combo from the Frankenstein motor so it would be nice to go either way. Let you know which direction it will go in.
              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 10-05-2014, 04:54 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I had problems finding room for the GS1100 ignitor on my bike so I went with the GS1000 electrics. Plug and play. The only difficult part was removing the 6mm allen bolt that holds the pickup trigger on the GS1100 engine. Heat it with a torch and it comes out fine with a non ball end 3/8 inch drive wrench.

Comment

HUH?
                  the factory mechanical advance ignitions are fine and the dynaS add's nothing but adjustable timing....nothing.......
                  Yep. And if you are real excited you can add a pair of hotter ign. coils and some solid copper core wires with non-resister plugs.

Comment

green coils/solid wires and lose the crap caps...agreed...RF on these bikes mean nothing

Comment

I just put I 82 1100g in a 80 1000g frame I tried the igniter from the 80 ,did not work so got I 82 igniter wired it in works great , there is few pics on here , in projects and rebuilds

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdhd View Post
                        I just put I 82 1100g in a 80 1000g frame I tried the igniter from the 80 ,did not work so got I 82 igniter wired it in works great , there is few pics on here , in projects and rebuilds
                        tbird i don't understand.
                        if the only thing changed was the engine the electronics from the 1980 will bolt right to the 82 engine and work fine.
                        must be more to the story.
                        the electronic advance ignitor is way more trouble some than the mechanical advance from the 80 model.

Comment

tbird i don't understand.
                          if the only thing changed was the engine the electronics from the 1980 will bolt right to the 82 engine and work fine.
                          must be more to the story.
                          the electronic advance ignitor is way more trouble some than the mechanical advance from the 80 model.
                          That's good information. Reliability is one of the key factors. My only concern was with the mechanical advance and the age on the springs and wear. I just figured that the electronic advance would not degrade in performance over time since it's programed and requires no moving parts.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

IMO, a NEW Dyna S is a better option than a 30 year old stock ignition. And on my 81 850 it gets rid of the remote ignitor as well. I've had 3 stock ignitions go bad over the years, never lost a Dyna. I've got one on my son's 650 Guzzi that's been there since 1986.

Comment

Working...
                            X