GS 450 Relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450 Relays

I have recently had a friend take my battery off to jump his motorcycle and in the process the negative wire was not removed and some wires touched on the positive side causing a wire from the positive side running over to the negative side to burn up. Everything was then unhooked. The wire was replaced and the battery was re-installed and the motorcycle starts and runs fine with the neutral and gear numbering lighting working just fine. But my headlamp, horn, and blinkers do not work. So I feel that my relays may have been damaged in the process of the wire burning up. I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me where the relays are located or if they think that the problem may be somewhere else.

For everybody else , when working on/near the battery always remove the ground wire first(for obvious reasons).

Comment

Jojo, you have NO (small) relays on the bike. Check your fuses, instead.

The closest thing to a "relay" is the starter solenoid, which is just a heavy-duty relay.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Stock setup on a 450 like Steve says is no relays... as for fuses there is only one main fuse which is under the left side cover. If that was blown then your bike shouldn't start at all as no power would get to your coils etc.

I suspect you have a bit more of an issue going on there... either that or someone has modified your wiring from stock perhaps.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
        X