Bolt holding ignition advance broke off into crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt holding ignition advance broke off into crank

I recently bought a 81 gs850 off of craigslist for $50 expecting to get a quick turn around and get the bike running was high in my hopes. But things started get frustrating after cleaning rust from the tank twice and rebuilding the carbs almost 5 times I realized the bike was a little more than I bargained for. So I dug deeper to get the bike running. Pulled all the ignition off to clean as when replacing the unit the bolt broke off into the crank....

Is there anyway I don't need that bolt there? Everything seems to fit in just alittle loosely. I really would like to get this bike going but I'm not afraid to part it out as I bought it for such a good deal. I will try to upload pics soon

Thanks for any help

How far down in there is the remnant of the bolt, and about how much of the bolt is in there? Why did it break? Did it break while you were tightening the bolt, or while loosening?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      How far down in there is the remnant of the bolt, and about how much of the bolt is in there? Why did it break? Did it break while you were tightening the bolt, or while loosening?
      It broke off when I was tighting it. What left of the bolt break is about flush with crank, and I'm guessing 1/4-1/2 in of the bolt is left.

Comment

Use a left hand drill bit smaller then the diameter of the solid center portion of the bolt. Center punch the bolt so you start the drill right. Drill it slow and straight. It may very well unscrew itself out as you drill into it. If not you can usually use Torx bit about the same size as the hole you drilled and tap it in to get a bite on it. You should be able to unscrew it then. I would avoid using an easy-out as then tend to break off and then you're really screwed.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

We have a welder man here who tig welds a square shank onto such pieces and then unscrews them. The heat from welder helps free the threads as well. f course this would neccesitate you having to take whole bike or engine to a welder.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help I will defiantly try the techniques you guys suggested.

This bike has been a real hasse to get going and I'm still at a loss of a running bike. It will backfire and spit and sputter but it won't run. I've clean the carbs and checked ignition. Still nothing.

Comment

Valve clearance? Clean petcock? Compression test?

Comment

I havent found time yet to mess with the bike but I will try to get it to fire first then try to remove the broken bolt. if the igniton advance falls out im sure i will know.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_rubber_ducky View Post
                  I havent found time yet to mess with the bike but I will try to get it to fire first then try to remove the broken bolt. if the igniton advance falls out im sure i will know.
                  Or it will fire, try to fall out and then tare things up. Next post will be... Where can I get an ignition plate and advance assembly?

Why not just do it right? Fix the broken bolt, set the valve clearances and clean the carbs correctly. Ends up being much more productive in the end.

Here are some links to help out:

CV carb rebuild tutorial

Help my bike wont run right!

BikeCliff's WEB site
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Whatever you do, DO NOT use an ez-out. Use a left handed drill bit as suggested. They are not the same.

Comment

If you end up welding to get the broken bolt out, you might want to get a new crank seal too. It sits just behind the ignition plate, is easy to remove and install, and could very well fail from the heat involved.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

$50 and you're complaining? Man, I bought mine for $400 and have a total of $1200 into it to get it reliable and running down the road. Just figure $1000 dollars to get the thing going. Make sure the valve clearances are right, make sure the rubber boots are sealing along with the orings between the head and boots. Make sure the carbs are cleaned AND have the right jets in it, make sure the exhaust isn't leaking at the head. Also make sure the charging system is charging and you don't have too much of a voltage drop going to the coils.

Comment

Working...
                        X