1981 GS850G Ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850G Ignition switch

Hi, tried to search out the exact answer but couldn't find it. Would like to get a brandy-new ignition switch on Roadkill ('81 GS850G) I have seen these for years sold everywhere;

They always seem to cover the 850G up to 1980. Never list the '81. Realize the key would be different.

Has anyone knowledge of why? Is it just case of an extra wire or something that isn''t a snippitty quick throw on replacement or more complex like different diameter or too long body or something that just really doesn't work even with some mod?

Hate to take apart & clean like shown in some posts. The P.O. had left this poor old girl out in the rain as a regular "maintenance" method & I am still providing therapy as best I can.

There is a better than 1 to 1 1/2 volt drop across the in & out of the switch.

Thanks,

DH

The '79-'91 switches all have the same part number.

Why not take the electrical part off the bottom of the key part and clean what's inside?

It's not all that hard, just watch out for tiny little parts that might make a quick escape when you open it up.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cleaning the switch part is no big deal and is such a low tech assembly that it's almost idiot proof - I managed it. Posts can get out of control and make things seem a lot more complicated than the poster intended.
      Do it at a table and take pictures as you go in. Unless the springs are broken it should go ok. Even then they can be replaced with a bit of imagination. Probably a lot less hassle than trawling the bay only to find that your machine is the exception.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Here's a few images of my quick cleanup: http://www.pbase.com/robertbarr/image/157755610

Advance by selecting 'next' in the upper right of the page. 1303 shows pre-polish. In 1304, the contacts were hit with a Dremel + polishing disc + Flitz. Nice & shiny. For lube I used Permatex dielectric grease. It's nowhere near as thick as it seems to be in the photo. If you want really hi-res photos, select 'original' toward the bottom of the page. Kinda excessive, but they get right in there.

The two switch halves came apart easily for me. I think i used a thumbnail. Getting the switch off the bike is about 95% of the effort, and even that wasn't so bad.

I finished by putting a drop of Deoxit (sp?) on the connectors, waiting an hour and then spraying them with contact cleaner. Worked great.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The '79-'91 switches all have the same part number.

Why not take the electrical part off the bottom of the key part and clean what's inside?

It's not all that hard, just watch out for tiny little parts that might make a quick escape when you open it up.

Not to hijack this, but I'm trying to get a new switch too for mine but it's a problem of it being so warn out that sometimes my keys will fall out while I'm riding. Steve, do you know if this one http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...tem=EM40-71010 will work on my bike? To me it looks like the only difference between that switch and mine is the flange on the end, and if that's the case I'll just order an Emgo and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
          X