Gear Indicator Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Indicator Lights

I took off the covers on my left side for polishing awhile back and since then my gear indicator lights have not been working. All connections are correct in the bucket so the problem must be in the case. Has anyone maintenance'd this before? I'm not sure where to start. All other lights are working correctly and my charging system is great.

Thanks,
    GSP

There's another connector between the bucket and the case that may have come unplugged. On mine it's a square plug and a bullet connector.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by gspower View Post
      I took off the covers on my left side for polishing awhile back and since then my gear indicator lights have not been working. All connections are correct in the bucket so the problem must be in the case. Has anyone maintenance'd this before? I'm not sure where to start. All other lights are working correctly and my charging system is great.

Thanks,
      GSP
      How about the netural light, does that work?

THe netural swtich is in the same switch as the gear selection swtich (like netural is a gear shift position).

If netural light does work but the gear numbers don't, I would suspect the connector up on top, because the gear positions are in a multi connector, but netural goes thru a separate single conector.

If netural doesn't work either, then I wouold suspect the Org/grn wire in instrument panel (that powers all of them) ... or the ground wire to the switch.
      Last edited by Redman; 10-15-2014, 09:01 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I do not think there is a connector at the swtich, else I would suspect that.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yeah. I have no neutral either. I double checked the sensor under the left cover and reinstalled it to make sure it was set properly. Still nothing. I haven't taken the tank off yet to follow the wires but I just - very thoroughly, I might add - inspected the wiring on the bike and I'm pretty sure the issue is not a loose ground. I didn't realize the sensor was so sensitive and admit that I had it out and exposed to rain for quite a few weeks while I was polishing the cover up. My hypothesis is that the actual sensor is bad. How likely is this?

Will take the tank off and touch base on all connections when the weather permits again. In the meantime I will start shopping for the sensor.

GSP

Comment

Do the horn, brake light and turn signals work?

No, this is not just a general electrical check, all of them, and the gear indicator lights, are powered by the same fuse.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When you removed the switch, did you perhaps misplace the little spring and/or steel nubbin living inside the shift drum that contacts the switch?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Did any of the wires get pinched when putting the cover back on? You could have pinched and killed the wires replacing the case cover.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  When you removed the switch, did you perhaps misplace the little spring and/or steel nubbin living inside the shift drum that contacts the switch?
                  Que? Como?

Comment

The lights work by grounding a little button against the engine and on each little contact in the engine connection. As you shift gears the button moves in a clockwise direction moved by a shaft in the gearbox. 12 volts arrives in the dashboard on an orange wire and powers all the light bulbs at once. As each bulb gets a ground connection from the transmission they light.

I replaced my bulbs with LEDs because they are 4 dollars a piece. I used a 2,2K resistor in the number 6 position to lower the 12 volts a bit and limit current. This is a popular mod.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Ew, Steve has a good idea. Anything else work that is on that fuse: instrument lights, horn and such?

Or..
                      Next time you are at the switch: test things by grounding out some of the wires/contacts down there.

Comment

For anyone that might read this with interest in the future: There is a spring and contact that ground onto the gear sensor. I was missing both of these. Upon further inspection the sensor was not the problem. Hope this helps someone else.

Comment

While we're on the subject, I've got four gear indicators for my 1982 1100e. All of them show the correct info during the day.

Anyone got one that actually lights up?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

There is a diff bulb for each gear indication? I ask b/c only 3rd isn't lighting up for my GS550...

Comment

Working...
                            X