Batteryless setup for 550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batteryless setup for 550?

I'm doing a cafe/street tracker hybrid thing on my '79 GS550 rebuild, and I'd like to go batteryless. I've already eliminated the starter, and built a custom wiring harness to power the bare essentials. I've got a Dyna S ignition with stock coils.

Is it as simple as replacing the battery with a capacitor, or is there more to it on these old GS bikes when using the Dyna S ignition?

Thanks for the help.

How about a alarm system battery, like 1.2 amp,hour very small - better/safer than capacitor.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I would probably get a Lipo Battery with electronic protection built in. They are relatively expensive but very light. There are probably capacitor systems also but the equivalent batter should weigh less.

Comment

I'm cheap so I'd opt for tiny battery and five 16 volt Zener diodes in parallel for safety.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My son bought a pair of small batteries off fleabay, and they are no bigger than a pack of cigarettes. He only needed one (we tested it to be sure), but he had room for 2 under his xs650 chopper seat, completely hidden, so he did that for peace of mind. Both batteries shipped were under 30 bucks.

Comment

Working...
          X